Fermintation temperature (complete noob here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madegret

Reaction score
So, I got a book from Santa, read it, read How to Brew, purchased a digital magazine subscription on homebrewing . . . I'm definately obsessed and havent even gotten my starter kit in yet.

I'm confident about every step EXCEPT one - how do I regulate temperature during fermintation? I'm in south Mississippi with highs around 70 and lows around 35. My house stays at 62 - 68 degrees this time of the year (closets a bit cooler). That is my concern - if the ambient temperature in a closet is 63 degrees (I just checked it) is that too cold for good fermintation?

Thanks!!!

Noobie here too.

But my Pantry is 63 deg and for my first batch I have been monitoring a floating Thermo in water in the tube it came in, constantly.
Day 1 it was at 63.5,
Day 2 it dropped to 62.5 then rebounded to 64 as I placed it in the Carboy box where I have my Primary pail.
Day 3 I covered the box with a towel to help bring the temp up (I have noticed that the others start low in temp and then bring it up to help keep the fermentation going)
Day 4 its 64.5

I Don't think I'll be able to keep it warmer in the Pantry. But also I posted a question on how exothermic the process is and it may actually bring the temp up 5-8 deg depending on yeast activity.
So I'd say if your in the 63 range you should be good to go!
Go for it!

Google your yeast straing and you'll see what the optimal temperatures it works at. The two more common ones (well, one really is a common!) that I use in those temp ranges are WYEAST 1056 and WYEAST 2112.

Keep in mind that an active fermentation can add around to 8 degrees of temp to your beer,and that the optimal ranges don't mean "1 degree over or under won't work". I think you'll be ok with either of those two strains.

Welcome to the obsession.

Generally speaking 63-66 is PERFECT for a clean ale, which is most. I've got a blonde fermenting with Nottingham at 62 right now. Nottingham can go a little colder than most, even into the 50's from what I hear. It's true that different yeasts have slightly different temperature preferences, but sounds like your house would be great. I'd use a closet for most of the primary, then maybe pull it out for the last third of fermentation to ensure proper attenuation and polish off any diacetyl.

Back