Noob Needs Info!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonfolk

Reaction score
Hello all! I am interested in trying my hand at brewing beer at home, and so found this app to help me reach into the ether for information, advice, and general comments about the process and required resources for making said beer.

I just recently moved to NYC and was wondering what hardware I would need and where to get it. I'm looking to make small batches (Like 3-5 gallons; I assume that's small) and would like to know what you guys consider to be the best book on the subject.

Beer types I'm most interested in crafting: IPA, Porter, Stout, Double Bock, Barleywine, Old Ale, and ESB. I'm interested in trying anything though. As you may have guessed, high ABV beers are what I love, so "Imperial" recipes would be great!

Also, the simplest method of bottling would be cool. I like the idea of growlers or something larger than 12 ouncers, though, if that is easier, I'll definitely just fill a bunch of smaller beers.

I'd also really like to increase my beer knowledge, home-brewing aside, like food parings, specific types, and history.

Thanks a bunch,

-Lester

Kinda new to the craft myself. I bought The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and have found it super helpful.

In the city lugging all the stuff you would buy maybe tough. Check for a local homebrew store, google is always good. You can buy starter kits online and generally can find a deal. some have free shipping over a certain dollar amount. Like Austin Homebrew. Not that you asked but if I had to do all over, I would go with glass carboys to start(1 6.5G, and a 5G should do it). Youll still need a bottling bucket w/spigot, wand and an autosiphon is really helpful. I would argue mandatory. You may have some more up front costs but youll be happy with the money you save long term.

Charlie Papizan's book- Joy of homebrewing is the bible. Amazon you can get an electronic version. saves a couple bucks.

As for bottling. The biggest time saver. For cleanup I bottle over my dishwasher with the door open. sticky floors dont make wives happy.

Also, I usually use a number of 1Liter seltzer bottles. just pour out the seltzer and its already sanitized. Generally cheap and great to give out. empty bottles are almost as expensive as full ones. ;-) Other wise I use 22oz browns pretty much. competitions dont allow that size but you can cross that bridge later.

growlers Ive never used but did alot of research when I frst started to accomplish the same thing...less bottles. I dont recommend based on what I read but keep in mind you dont always hear success stories but you will hear about bottle bombs. search on that my searching is 1+ years ago and maybe something new is on the market. You need a vessel that can hold carbonation so if you go with growlers do some research cheap isnt always better.

Finally Good Luck! Youll enjoy it, just set your expectations, its a skill and youll learn alot on those first few brews.

I have read The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, but I find John Palmer's Book How to Brew to be better and easier to understand. It covers a variety of topics and will serve you well as a beginner and an advanced brewer. It covers extract brewing, partial mashing, and all grain brewing. It tells you the equipment needed, options that can be used, and why things are done in particular ways. I could not give higher recommendations for Palmer's book. It is a must have in your brewing library.

Mark:ban:

Back