no co2 at racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinco2

Reaction score
Did my first all grain brew a week ago saturday. Scottish 80 shilling. Mashed high at 158(according to recipe) all went well wound up with a og of 1.045. I don't have any way to arrate(sp?) my wort so I siphoned it out of the kettle into the fermenter and let it splash. This has worked just fine for me in the past with extract but this was my 2nd batch with a full volume boil. I did a yeast starter that I started the night before. No plate or anything just shook it real good all day brew day. It was completely done fermenting by 72hr(1.012). left it in a total of 9 days. Cold crashed it the night of the 8th day and racked it to the keg the night of the 9th day. It was the very first beer of mine that had absolutely NO residual carbonation. If I remember from when I took my fg reedings there was a seemingly normal amount of co2 in it. But, now it is flat as a pancake. I realize this style is gonna be in around the 1.5 range. But It downright tastes bad at this point(not so much flavor just all wrong) Is this a result of over pitching? 1vial of white labs and 1000ml of wort(didn't take a reading but I'm estimating it was about a 1.040 wort) Is the fact that it sat for so long after fermentation had completed all of the co2 was driven off?

any help comments or advice would be very appreciated.

oh I used cal ale wp001

You shouldn't really judge the taste till its chilled and carbed. I'm sure it's fine!

Carb, chill, come back... We're really just wasting guesses right now.

Back