Can I grow yeast from bottled sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
NEW BREWER ALERT !!!!!

Well I suspect I can but please read my situation.

My wife, who rarely drinks beer is on a business trip in California. She tries a Chimay Blue and loves it so much she calls me from the restaurant. You have to find or brew this beer for me. Well OK......can do.

So I find a local store that has the Chimay Red in stock. I buy one and pour it into a glass. I noticed there is a lot of sediment in the glass. It's not until I get near the bottom that I had the thought of growing yeast from this sediment.

Is it possible or advisable to try it if I drank from the glass? If so, what is the best way to propagate it with little in the way of equipment? Thanks.

I'm curious to find out the method, I have one lonely bottle of Westvelteren that has been cellared for the last year, would love to try and revitalize the yeast from it.

Yes, you can harvest the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. On the otherhand, you could buy Wyeast Belgium Abbey and save yourself the trouble.
Yes but you know how it is when you have you mind set on a little experimentation.

Actually I dumped all of it in the glass and nearly drank it all. I was asking too about contamination from me drinking from the glass.

is it possible? yes. Is it advisable to try and do it out of the glass you were drinking out of: NO...too much risk for inspection IMO

You can in fact harvest yeast from bottle conditioned beer, I am actually harvesting yeast from the dregs of 3 bottles of 2 Hearted Ale right now. However, you must be very very sanitary!!! DO NOT try and harvest the yeast from your glass, I'd be willing to bet it gets an infection.

OK, thanks for the info everyone. I suspected that it would be best not to try from the glass. Next time I will have the info to do it from the bottle.

Back