FG reached but secondary still active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
my english pale ale spent just over two weeks in the primary and almost two now in the secondary. i am at the predicted FG and have been for days, i want to bottle the ale so i can get another batch going. today i took a close look at it and there are quite a few particles still traveling up and down in the carboy (its a pale beer so easy to see through). do i need to wait this activity out ? if i am at FG why am i still seeing so much movement ??

Brownian motion.

:D

Seriously, you still have flocs in suspension. Temperature differences can create currents in the vessel, just like you see during the boil, which cause the gentle motion of the flocs. I'd fine it with gelatin, just to get them to settle out.

You should be safe to bottle, though, even without fining.

Bob

thanks NQ3X ! i have a pack of "crosby&baker" biofine beer fining. it says dissolve 1/4 teaspoon in 2oz cool water let stand 20 minutes and add. i assume i need to boil that water and let it cool first. is gelatin better ?

ingredients are: isinglass,sodium metabisulfate and malic aid.

Isinglass will do little good unless you can get the beer COLD. If you can't chill it, gelatin will work far more effectively. Neither are better or worse than the other; it's simply a case of different tools for different techniques.

Cheers,

Bob

how cold for how long before i bottle ? i can do that, i have an extra fridge. i would like this pale ale to be as clear as i can get it....i used irish moss too but did a sloppy transfer to the secondary.

Back