How does my thought process sound on bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooBrew

Reaction score
27 Bottles, Check.
30 Corks, Check.
Corker, Check

6 gallons of concord that has been hovering at 1.010 for 3 weeks. Cleared and campden tabed (6), left to sit for 3 more days.

Degas with drill and handy plastic coat hanger.

Steam the corks in K-meta sauna as described by Yooper Before corking. Then rinse the bottles with a warm H20 & sanitizer solution.

Fill bottles leaving about 1 inch of head space, insert cork, and store bottles out of sunlight with the cork submerged.

Am I missing anything?

Im pretty excited, my first batch :rockin:

I guess that one person's 6-gallons will be different from another's, and that how many gravity samples you've taken out of the fermentor will make a difference, too...but I would want to have at least 30+ 750 ml wine bottles at the ready on bottling day.

But, if you DO run short this time, you will almost be guaranteed to make sure that THAT will never happen again...ever!

Also, I think you might need to better define how you intend to determine this one inch of headspace...from the lip of the bottle...or the bottom of the inserted cork?

Pogo

My only concern is that unless you have stabilized the wine, or you added a lot of sugar to begin with. 1.010 doesn't sound like fermentation has finished. Most wine will finish under 1.0 possibly .990. What was your OG? What yeast did you use? How long has it been in the carboy?

Steve

Latest posts

Back