Two questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
1. I've been gathering quite a bit of yeast (WLP 001) over several batches and I must have at least 2-3 cups of nice solid yeast. As far as I can tell this yeast appears no different than the yeast I buy in the yeast tubes which I pitch without a starter, I just have alot more of it. When you have this quantity of young yeast (less than 3 mos old) can you avoid a starter process altogether and just "go for it"? What do you think?

(FWIW the last batch I ran a starter on I used ALOT of yeast (a full WLP vial) and it was literally blowing itself out the airlock. Clearly I had a healthy amount.)

2. I'm considering pulling my beer out of primary between 2-3 weeks (I occasionaly need the bucket) and go straight to keg for a week (rather than my carboy) for "additional" conditioning before carbing. Anyone has +'s or -'s on this lazy technique?

1. I've been gathering quite a bit of yeast (WLP 001) over several batches and I must have at least 2-3 cups of nice solid yeast. As far as I can tell this yeast appears no different than the yeast I buy in the yeast tubes which I pitch without a starter, I just have alot more of it. When you have this quantity of young yeast (less than 3 mos old) can you avoid a starter process altogether and just "go for it"? What do you think?

(FWIW the last batch I ran a starter on I used ALOT of yeast (a full WLP vial) and it was literally blowing itself out the airlock. Clearly I had a healthy amount.)

2. I'm considering pulling my beer out of primary between 2-3 weeks (I occasionally need the bucket) and go straight to keg for a week (rather than my carboy) for "additional" conditioning before carbing. Anyone has +'s or -'s on this lazy technique?
If you have enough in jars, go for it....are you washing it, or just storing the trub? It's just like pitching onto a yeast cake.
I don't understand your statement about using a "Whole Tube" of wlp. That is what you should ALWAYS use to get your starter going.

Q#2....That's what I do, but I go ahead and hit it with some pressure to ensure a good seal on the keg.....but 99% of the time it's between 2 and 3 weeks.

I don't use the secondary anymore and transfer to the kegs after 3 weeks.

You probably don't need to make a starter if you have a good quantity of healthy yeast already either. I assume you mean that the White Labs tube was totally full versus about a 3rd when you purchase them.

If you have enough in jars, go for it....are you washing it, or just storing the trub? It's just like pitching onto a yeast cake.
I don't understand your statement about using a "Whole Tube" of wlp. That is what you should ALWAYS use to get your starter going.

Q#2....That's what I do, but I go ahead and hit it with some pressure to ensure a good seal on the keg.....but 99% of the time it's between 2 and 3 weeks.

1. I wash everything...it's pretty much yeast at this point, some residual trub I'm sure but its hard to see. To clarify on the tube statement of the WLP tubes I've bought they are probably 65% yeast and the rest is fluid once it has a chance to settle. My last batch I inadvertently filled up a tube to the brim and it was solid yeast. Thick as mortar. The difference was obvious since I've never had 001 blow off before.

2. Will do. Thanks for the input!

Back