Fixing Slight Overcarbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
My recent brew was literally the best wort I've ever tasted, as in, I poured myself a pint and drank it pre-carbonation which I never do. Then I had that voice creep up inside my head that said, "You've brewed a 38-42 out of 50 beer, don't ruin this by overcarbing." Then guess what I proceeded to do.

So the beer is a IPA bordering on a IIPA and I was going for a very soft mouthfeel at about 2.3-2.5 vols of carbing. I use the krausening method which I have gotten a really good handle on, however, I think in this situation the yeast awakened with the krausening "starter" and drop a point or so further because I am definitely at 3.2-3.5 as it is nearly identical to the carb levels of my Saisons.

So, how do I "solve" the problem. I was originally think about just cracking the beer and pouring straight out of the fridge, but letting it sit in the glass for a few minutes before I start to consume, but that doesn't really solve anything. Could I crack all of the bottles and recap, or will I lose more than 1 vol making my beers under carbed?

I know this isn't the end of the world, and the final product is certainly better than average. The carbonation is absolutely throwing an acidic flavor component in when drunk fresh out of the fridge, which dissipates as the pint is consumed. This might be the rare situation where my last gulp is the best of the bottle.

Nevermind, popped some to recap and gushers everywhere. Good things I went for it before the bottle bombs started. The yeast must have started a secondary fermentation.

Back