Maris Otter in a dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigi

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a dubbel soon and have a bunch of MO to use. I was thinking that the crackery/bready character of the MO would work well as the base grain in a dubbel, but don't have any experience actually brewing the style. I know Belgian pilsner is what all the breweries there, but in Brew like a Monk he mentions pale ale malt is pretty common in American versions of the style. What do y'all think?

I use pale in all my brews just because that's what I have on hand. If you have MO, go ahead and use that. Good to experiment.

I made a "Modern" Dubbel using Briess pilsner as the base and it turned out great. If you are making a Dubbel using a "modern" recipe (base malt + specialty grains + some sugar), I think the base malt doesn't matter so much, because the specialty grains overpower most of the flavor from the base malt. However, if you are making a "traditional" recipe (base malt + dark candi syrup), then I would go with the more flavorful base malts like Belgian pilsner or MO.

Latest posts

Back