Unconventional temp probe placement?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I am in the midst of assembling the rig right now (with hopes of being able to get the BK up and running first so I can bang out a couple batches). Just taking a break from drilling my holes for my heating elements in my keggles.

My question... I am going to be running a "direct fired" electric MLT. I am mounting a 5500w ULWD element in the bottom of a keggle MLT that sits below a screened false bottom so chance of grain contact with the element is non-existent.

For most HEX issues I know the consensus is to mount the temp probe on the output of the HEX. My plan is to drill a 1/4" hole in the keggles to mount the probes, but was curious if mounting it low is the right location, since the element will be in such close proximity to the temp probe. I am most concerned with the MLT but it also holds for the HLT and BK too.

So simply... mount low regardless of proximity of heating element or no?

And another related question... ideally I want my probe placement as low as possible so I can do smaller batches on occasion. I have 6" probes. If I only have an inch or two of the probe inserted into the keggle, is this an issue? I am thinking I may have to do this to keep the probe as low as I want and to make sure it is not in direct contact with the element.

Thanks in advance.

Back