Weis Beer tastes like 80 proof liquor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
I brewed a Lemon-coriander weis beer from Midwest a couple of weeks ago and decided to add the 1% alcohol boost that I had forgotten to use in my chocolate-raspberry stout from the day before. Well with that said I tasted a little of the weis from out of the secondary this past weekend and it about brought me to my knees with an intense alcohol flavor. I mean it's to the point of burning a little as it goes down.

Have I ruined my beer? I didn't take a gravity reading yet, but was wandering if anyone else has run into this. I can tell you right now though that I won't be ordering the 1% alcohol boost anymore.

Wheat beers (in my experience) tend to be quite dry. The 1% alcohol boost contributes even more dryness (it's just sugar). The combination may give that impression.

However, I found this on the web, and it says your OG should have been 1.062-1.066. Adding the boost should have brought that higher, so you're maybe 10-15 points low. Did you add all the malt extract?

I added everything it told me to add and at the times is stated. The only think different was that I added the extra sugar (1% boost) at the same time I add the LME.

I'm sure it is just really green and I am worrying for no reason. I don't really mind the little extra kick it has:tank: , but the SWMBO won't care for it much.

Interesting as have the same batch brewing in my primary right now. It's been in the primary for 9 days and I got bubbling every 12 seconds at 68-70 degrees.

I'll probably goto the secondary this weekend (14 days) and taste. I did not add any extra sugar.

I probably shouldn't have either, but thought what the hell why not. Next time I will leave it alone and stick to the recipe. It's drinkable, but you don't want to drink much at one time.

Also, I may be off on the Hydrometer. I'm still very new to this and am probably reading it wrong. That and I have a very hard time keeping the hydrometer from sticking to the test tube. I guess I need to test in a bigger vessel.

Back