2 Nights of CAH's Beer Geek Week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
...and so much great beer!

The first night, I was there by myself because I was passing through Richmond, and it was Steal the Glass night. The theme at Innsbrook was Belgian Chaos, so you could order any belgian on the menu and keep the glass the poured it in. I had a $12 Regenboog Kerst Wooden Firkin, which was uncarbonated, and hit me like a very high gravity dubbel. The oak was very present and despite that lack of carbonation, it was incredibly complex. And I got to keep the 3 Philosophers glass. They ran out of giveaway glasses, so I just got a Weyerbacher 13th Anniv. Impy Stout. It's okay, but a little disjointed. The finish was weird, too...like mint chaw.

Last night, I went with wifey and a friend and stayed for 4 hours, ran the gamut. The theme was Nacht, Stock and 3 Delicious Barrels. We got there early so we could snag some of the measly 30 Liters of Stille Nacht that they were tapping at 5, but when we arrived at 5:15, she said they weren't serving it till 6 because it was too foamy. So we waited till 5:30 and had the JW Lees Harvest Ale aged in Calvados Casks. Awesome, awesome, awesome...like sherry and port together. Then I had the Stille Nacht, which was the best version of it I've ever had. Then, the Hitachino Coffee Imperial Stout leftover from Monday---that stuff was ALL coffee. Wow. Then, the Blue Mountain Dark Hollow, which is, I guess, a barrel-aged stout with some belgian character. Very nice. The last on the lineup was the Hitachino XH, which was a Belgian golden strong style that was aged in Sake barrels. Again, I was very impressed...it had a distinct ginger note that I couldn't get over. So after all that, I finished with a nice malty Korbinian dopplebock. Word.

Oh, and to make things even better, the guys at CAH walk around from time to time with some rare stuff in bottles and give out free samples to tables that they see with good beer. Got to try a chardonnay-barrel-aged Golden Monkey, and some barrel-aged dark ale from this company that I can't recall just now.

That place is heaven!

I believe the barrel-aged dark ale you're referring to was a bottle of 03 Left Hand Oak Aged Imperial stout.

We (the wife and I) were very pleasantly surprised by the Hitachino XH as well.

Back