Budget false bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are asking me: I have no f*cking idea. :D

Haha, okay.

I was looking around online at what will passivate (get it into your bed and accept your solder) stainless steel.

I found that really lots of acids do the trick. I had heard of lemon juice being used as an emergency flux, and sure enough, it can be. However I would think that rubbing lemons on ss wouldn't work because it is so finicky. Fortunately I have some citric acid hanging around. Ill try cleaning up the SS with the citric acid as its less hazardous than the muriatic acid (being hydrochloric acid.) The muriatic acid also likes to keep eating away at SS so you need to really wash it well after you use it. Most fluxes for SS are phosphoric acid, but the only supply of phosphoric acid I currently have is naval jelly, which is on hand.

I don't want to spend 10 dollars on what will be a single use item, so if I can just get the washers, copper, and ball valve and get that soldered together I will be golden! I will test it out tomorrow and report back with results!

Got the parts that are needed, and forgot one part that is not so needed. Will post pictures later tonight.

Well, catastrophic failure :(. I couldn't find our 3/4" drill bit so I had to grind it down by hand and the washer was only 1 inch diameter to begin with. There wasn't much left after getting it to fit the darn copper fitting. Depot didn't have anything else to work with. At this point going out and buying more supplies is pointless, as I could just buy a premade bulkhead as walker said. Ps: Walker, where was that $12 fitting you spoke about? I could only find brass ones at homebrewheaven

Side note, the citric acid really cleaned up the copper, the difference was instantly visible. It went from the standard coppery color that it has, to that pink color of very clean copper nearly instantly.

Any update on if this works with the correct fittings. I need to convert a keggle to a MT, and looking for a cost effective solution.

Any update on if this works with the correct fittings. I need to convert a keggle to a MT, and looking for a cost effective solution.

It will work. 1/2" npt threads. Unbelievably standard stuff. Just happens to be a non standard part. It will work. I just need to get a bit more moolah before I get going again. Way too many projects at once.

How did this false bottom work out for you?

My DIY aluminum pizza pan with wire mesh took one to many beatings from my mash paddle and is damaged beyond repair. (It did last for many years though). So I bought one of these splatter screens today and plan on adapting it tomorrow.

For anyone that is curiousm it's about 13 3/8" diameter.

Back