Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
I had a question about reusing yeast. I have been reading up on the topic and now know that you can either wash or simply repitch on to the yeast cake. My question is, how do you decide which yeasts would be good for which beers and once decided, which method would be the best for reusing it. Thanks!

Well, There are standard yeasts for certain brews. For Example, I've got an Irish Red with WLP0004 Yeast, I'm going to wash it, and keep it in the fridge. If the beer turns out good, I'll use that yeast again for a similar style, or for a re-brew. If I like a particular part of that beer that I attribute to the yeast, I might use it in a completely different brew that I want to display that character.

As for Pitching onto the cake... It takes some planning and I usually plan to do it before I make the first batch of the series, but isn't a big deal...especially if you're sticking with a style, or working light to dark.

Ahh I see, so it is about the color and style of the beer that determines which yeasts to use (sorry for being noob). So if you wash it, you can make a few different batches in the fridge for later? I am thinking about making a Dunkle and using WLP300 for it. When I make my starter for it, is it uncommon to make the starter like a week and a half before, and then make a very large starter and save half for later? It seems this would keep the yeast as close to its original state and maximize the amount of uses of it. Is this possible?

When I make my starter for it, is it uncommon to make the starter like a week and a half before, and then make a very large starter and save half for later?

That seems like a long time, but I do believe that is how EdWort propagates his yeast. That keeps a very clean strain. I would also advise that dry yeast is a bit of a waste of time to harvest, but pitching onto a cake from dry yeast is always a cool thing to do.

As for the Dark / Light Issue, there are just flavor profiles that are specific to a yeast strain. In example, a 3068 Hefe Yeast would be a bad choice for a light cream ale that you intend to be crystal clear, but is great for a Hefeweizen. Just the same as you'd not likely use a very clean fermenting yeast such as US-05 on a saison that is supposed to be quite fruity and eatery.

That seems like a long time, but I do believe that is how EdWort propagates his yeast. That keeps a very clean strain.

I would be spending all that time to make a couple of starters and grow the starter quite large (sorta got the idea from John Palmer on how to make starters for high gravity beers) and then just split it, if that makes sense. Thanks for the info on the different types of beer. I guess that I should do some more research on the variety of beer I want to brew before I decide to use the same yeast. Also, would I need a stir plate if I were doing this, or could I just give it a swirl every once and a while. Thanks for all the help!!

Back