Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
Question; I just bought a 5 gallon kit, and I was wondering if I needed a carboy for secondary or would it be acceptable to use my bottling bucket as the secondary. I don't see any reason I shouldnt be able to, but I figured I would ask.
It is a Tonga Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, incase you were curious.
http://vonrunkel.blogspot.com/
Here is the Link to my beer story.
Thanks, and Enjoy.
Von Runkel

So should I just crack the lid on the primary and throw in my Vanilla? I read a couple recepies that called for putting the vanilla into a secondary and then the beer.

Airlock has stopped making sweet bubbles, so I was going to pop the lid today anyway to take a reading, so I could just throw those bad boys in when I do that....

If it's vanilla extract, just add it in the bottling bucket. If it's bean form, throw them in the primary.

I always thought I needed to secondary my beers but after reading the posts from those who have stopped doing a secondary, I decided to try keeping a higher gravity beer in primary to see if there are any ill effects. I brewed an extract Belgian Tripel last Thanksgiving. OG was around 1.080. I kept in in secondary until the middle of June or around 6 1/2 months. I then reyeasted and bottled. Now, it's early October and they are just getting really good. I can detect no off flavors at all and it's probably my favorite homebrew ever. I got great attenuation and great carbonation. I'll probably never secondary again.

Thanks guys. It is good to know that I don't have to do it... but I want to follow this recepie pretty closely (as it is my first 5 gallon batch) and I would still like to know what you think. SG is at 1.014 so I have a bit before it is time to transfer...

Back