Advice with acid addition at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhettoDickens

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my peach/raspberry saison, but I am debating acid additions. When reading about adding fruit when brewing, I remember reading from multiple sources (usually forums posts) that acid can be added at bottling to add some tartness that will accentuate the raspberry flavor (to make the dull rasp flavor more exciting). The trouble is, I can't remember what they recommended for the acid.

I was thinking lactic, my roommate says citric, and I know there are a few more options. What would people suggest I use. I plan on adding small increments to a test sample and sizing that up to a bottle, and adding individual additions to each bottle. Thoughts? Cheers!

The other main options are tartaric (grape) and malic (apple), or you can buy a blend. Raspberries are naturally high in citric, but sour beers are typically lactic. Personally, I don't think it makes much difference which one you use; your tongue will process all of them as sour. Dissolved CO2 is also acidic, and serving it cold will mute the other, more subtle flavors, so make the beer a little less acidic than what tastes best flat and warm.

Back