Lowering acids in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dex Pistol

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post after being a long time reader.

I am about to embark on my first homebrew cider. It will be a bone dry apple cider made with champagne yeast. I have not yet decided if I will add corn sugar.

After lots of research I believe that the acidifying agents (i.e. the citric acid in my daily fruit juices w/lime, likely the asorbic acid as well) in my diet have massively effected the efficacy of a certain prescription drug I am on (no surprise, this is why grapefruit is never served in hospitals). As such I am changing my diet to lower acids.

I am hoping someone could tell me if there is a way to make my final cider less acidic, specifically lowering asorbic acid in the final product. I am aware of malolactic fermentation which turns malic acid into softer lactic acid (which I have less trouble with), and I'm not sure how much tanic acid will be in the final product but I doubt there will be enough to cause issues.

Would adding an alkaline prior to fermentation like potassium bicarbonate then cold crashing neutralize some of the acids?

Lastly I am aware that yeast is itself acidic. If there is a way to lower it's acidity in the final product that would be lovely but I am aware that there will be some acids in the final product and there will have to be compromise.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I know it's a noobie question but I don't really know anything about chemistry and truth be told I didn't do particularly well in my intro to pharmacology class either.

Last edited:
Back