100% Late Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have been playing around with hopping schedules for brews that get 100% of their bitterness from hops added for 20 minutes and less. The results are huge and wonderful.

I have found that hops starting at 20 minutes and then added every 5 minutes through flame out makes one hoppy brew! It takes a whole lot of hops, but man, if you are a hop head, look out.

I AM a hop-head and that sounds very interesting to me. Does it lend more to the hop flavor and aroma and less to a lingering bitterness? I'm definitely oing to have to experiment with this as well. Thanks BP!

I've done that before and I was underwhelmed. It was too soft of a bitterness for me. I think I actually prefer my pale ales that have a 60 minute bittering charge and 2-3 flavor/aroma charges near the end.

Most of my brews have used hop schedules of about 30 minutes, with great results. The longest schedule I've used was just 45 minutes, for my IIPA, with additions every five minutes. That one tastes awesome. :D

I understand the sentiment Dude and tend to agree, but I have really enjoyed the difference it makes. I like the massive hop flavor I get with this schedule. I have always been a 60 20 end kind of brewer, so it is nice to be bumped out of my rut.

Brewpastor said:
I understand the sentiment Dude and tend to agree, but I have really enjoyed the difference it makes. I like the massive hop flavor I get with this schedule. I have always been a 60 20 end kind of brewer, so it is nice to be bumped out of my rut.

On a similar note, I've been overloading flavor/aroma hops recently. I've been doing double what I used to and my pale ales have been better for it. One at around 5-10, and then another at flameout.

Yup. One problem with recipe design is we can get caught up in the IBU side of things and forget about the oils and the flavor and aroma we want. I think it is Daniels in Designing Great Beers that suggests starting with aroma and working back to bittering to get all those great late hops in at the levels you really want.

My Murder beer had SOME bittering hops, but the vast majority of the additions were fairly late. Only a half-ounce of Chinook for 60, then 1.2 ounces total of Cascade, Amarillo and Centenial at 30, three ounces combined of these at 15, 2.25 ounces (combined) at 5, plus a small flameout addition. Got a lot of flavor and a ton of aroma from this. Not sure I have the cohones to completely forgoe all bittering additions, but with this beer, I got a ton of flavor but without the overpowering bitterness.

Back