Licorice Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSnrub

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a fairly big (1.075 OG) stout about 2 weeks ago. I added half a stick of licorice during the last 10 minutes of the boil, most of which dissolved. I just tasted it and detected little anise/licorice flavor. How should I go about adding more? Should I just drop the remaining half stick into the keg? Should I boil it and then pour the liquid into the keg? Go find some anise extract and use that instead? Please advise.

Haven't used "brewer's licorice" but I would boil it first to dissolve/sanitize it and then add to taste. I had good luck with actual licorice root in a big porter, but I wanted it at or just below the flavor threshold. Remember that carbonation can bring out some aromatics, so you may want to try it on tap before adjusting. You could also make a tea with anise or star anise and add that if you want more flavor.

In my experience, brewer's licorice is pretty strong stuff. I've found half a stick (about ten grams) to be enough to lend a strong flavor to a five gallon batch. A lot of the flavor in licorice candy comes from the spices in it. If you aren't getting the flavor you are looking for, try adding some star anise or whole clove.

Latest posts

Back