First runnings barley wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew a barley wine for a while. Like most, I don't want to have a large carboy taken up for the length of time that one would need. So I'm alright with just doing a one gallon batch. With my mash tun set up it would just be pointless to do that small of a mash. I have a 10-gallon rubbermaid cooler tun (the fat cylindrical one) which i feel keeps about a gallon in the dead space below the spigot. I read somewhere on the forums about doing a large mash and collecting the first runnings for a barley wine and then the second runnings for a smaller beer. Does anyone have any experience doing this that could tell me what I should be doing to make sure that I get a decent gravity for the BW? Maybe anything that I should consider when calculating the grain bill? If I'm going to do a beer that's gonna take around a year to finish then I want to make sure its done right and that I actually yield one gallon at a decent at the right gravity by the end of the boil. Sorry if this is broad, any suggestions appreciated.

I haven't done it myself, but have been thinking about it for a long time. What you're proposing is called a "parti-gyle". There's a good little blurb on the wiki about it, and a calculator here. Good luck with this adventure! I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do. I'm thinking a BIG RIS from the first runnings then a black lager for the lighter beer.

Yeah! I was thinking of doing this for a barley wine and RIS. But for the RIS I was thinking a nice porter for the second runnings, if it stays that dark. And Revvy, I read through your brew day and I remember seeing in there that you waited until around the end of the first boil to drain the runnings for the second brew. So does that mean that the wort was sitting in with the grains the whole time? I only have my 7 gallon brew pot that I can brew in so if I were able to do this it would help me out by not having to transfer the wort into another container while I wait for the first to finish boiling, cooling, etc. I also found out that there is a good little bit about this in Radical Brewing. I must have skipped it the first time through but its perfect. The recipe is for a first runnings barley wine and then a bitter with the second runnings. Thanks for the help!

Back