Hose water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it. It's the same water that comes out of my kitchen sink. You have to make sure you use a hose that is safe for drinking water though. You can find these hoses on RV or boating supply websites or even your local hardware store if you're lucky.

A plain garden hose should be fine so long as you let the water in the hose run out before filling your kettle. In other words, you have water sitting in that hose for a period of time and it leaches funky tastes out from the plastic. Turn on the hose, let it run for a minute or so until all that skunky water is gone. Then, you should be fine.

I do, but my house water is purer than most bottled water. I also used house water in Oakland, CA without any problems. If I had been brewing in Las Vegas however, I would used water from the RO unit. It was really bad. I had a two-stage filter for the entire house, including the hoses. Plus the RO unit for drinking water.

I went the route of the RV hose and in inline filter. The RV hose was just a few bucks more than a regular hose and it's one less thing to worry about. I got the filter because I don't really trust my city water.

Now I would like to add that Im running well water, not treated city water. Personally I don't like the taste of city water as much as I do our well water.

Chimone said:
Now I would like to add that Im running well water, not treated city water. Personally I don't like the taste of city water as much as I do our well water.

Funny. My In-Laws used to think I was rude because I couldn't handle drinking the well-water from their farm. I used to stock up on bottled water prior to going to their place. Soon they accepted it (after they came to visit and commented on how our water tasted funny to them) and MIL started buying bottled water for me. Almost immediately, both my wife and her brother that lives nearby us stopped drinking the home well-water and took the bottles. They both felt guilty at first (like they were betraying their upbringing) but now they're vocal about how bad the water is. (Their sinks and dishwasher are all rust-colored from the well water. SWMBO was a strawberry blonde until she moved away.)

Cheesefood said:
Funny. My In-Laws used to think I was rude because I couldn't handle drinking the well-water from their farm. I used to stock up on bottled water prior to going to their place. Soon they accepted it (after they came to visit and commented on how our water tasted funny to them) and MIL started buying bottled water for me. Almost immediately, both my wife and her brother that lives nearby us stopped drinking the home well-water and took the bottles. They both felt guilty at first (like they were betraying their upbringing) but now they're vocal about how bad the water is. (Their sinks and dishwasher are all rust-colored from the well water. SWMBO was a strawberry blonde until she moved away.)

wandering off topic I'd bet their toilet tanks have an inch or more sediment in them as well. Do em a favor and buy them a sediment filter for a birthday present if you want to really help em out get a dual filter with a sediment and carbon filter. This sediment will eventually fill up their septic tank too. Over the long haul a sediment filter will save them big money

Back