Testing my keggle and burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit77

Reaction score
I just started to put my all grain setup together and I thought of trying my burner and keggle out... to see if the burner is up to the challenger. My burner is a old 66 000 btu bayou type...so I put in 12 gallon of hot tap water (planning on doing 10 gallon batchs and the hot tap water is to get as close to mash temp). So I Light the burner... adjust to its max flame and let it go... finaly 1h:30min a start of a rolling boil begins... to make it worst the keggle was covered to get it boil. So should I get a new higher btu burner? or do I need to be patient? I think a smaller btu burner will burn more propane to get 12 gallon to a good rolling boil then a bigger burner. What do you guy`s think?

90mins? Really? You sure you had the thing turned on? I just did my first 10 gal. batch this weekend with a 60k burner and it took maybe 30mins to get it to boil. Now, of course I kept some heat on the first runnings to keep the temp up. That may help.

Regulator was on max and valves was on max both burner and propane tank. Don`t forget my burner is about 15 years old. What kind of burner are you running? Any ways you just answer my question... time to get a new burner... any ideal the best site to get one?

Just used the keggle for the first time on this last batch. Even though there is much more metal to heat than my dinky old pot, I found it came to boil rather quickly, maybe even faster than my old 7.5gal pot.

I think the skirt around the bottom traps the flames when I turn it up, whereas they would lick around the edges of the previous pot.

Anyhoo, I like it. It was also fun taunting the hotbreak with "show me what you got!" instead of watching nervously with a spraybottle.

Back