Kettle- Sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidjazz54

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a stupid idea but please let me know your thoughts.

I have a friend who is a plumber and he said that he has access to junk water heaters. My thought is, why can't I use the tanks from one of these as a kettle?

I have done some research and I see that the tanks are bonded with a glass lining on the inside but I think the chipping should be minimal and near the cut line.

Any thoughts? Anyone think it's worth attempting?

Not sure how you would fire it up. I do not think you would want to set it on a flame and I am not sure the water heating element would be hot enough to do a rolling boil. Plus there would be scorching issues I think.

Not to mention, I would imagine most junk water heaters are junk for a reason. After time all the mineral deposits and possible rust just would not be something you would want to brew in.

That said, no reason not to look into it further. What do I know! :D

zero said:
Not to mention, I would imagine most junk water heaters are junk for a reason. After time all the mineral deposits and possible rust just would not be something you would want to brew in.

Zero,

Thanks for the reply. I did talk to my plumber buddy this morning and he said the same thing you did regarding the mineral deposits and what-not. I think I'll get a gas one from him just to see but I am no longer confident that it will be a good idea. :(

I wouldn't even bother. Using hot water for any brewing is always discouraged because of how much crud gets built up in a hot water heater...its never as 'clean' as cold tap water. not to mention cold water lines get used more and thus are constantly flushed, while hot water lines sit for hours upon hours before being used.

I've looked into this considerably. It is a good thought, but there are several reasons of why not too. If you decide to do it anyway, please keep me posted as I am still interested in the possibility.

The sediment issue is considerable, but can be cleaned.

The glass lining is usually deteriorated by the time the WH becomes 2nd hand, and more importantly, will likely not hold up to the rigors of stirring...

Most water heaters are NG. Which means the consideration of how to get gas to them. The propane ones will need a proper regulator. Electric would probably be the best route, but again, you will need to bypass the t-stat and possibly upgrade the element. Ive seen several recommendations for "low density" elements to prevent scorching. Your common WH element is not low density. Then there is the consideration of how to get enough amperage to the boiler.

If you are using one inside, it will need a flue tube like usual. Otherwise, it will shoot a lot of heat straight upwards. Both the flue and the heat exchanger will be in the way of stirring...

You will need to bypass the safety valve / t-stat combo, which is pretty complex in and of itself if you dont have access to parts and experience in the endeavor.

A BTW, the hot tap water issue is 2 parts:

1) Leaching of lead from solders and brass parts at high temperatures.

2) Build-up of bacteria of sitting warm water.

Back