Did i overdo it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time force carbing my homebrew. After racking to the keg, I jacked the co2 up to 50psi and rolled & rocked the keg gently while it laid across my lap for about 10 minutes. Then I turned co2 down to my normal serving 20psi and let it sit in the keezer. Think this will be ok?

Your normal serving psi is 20?? Hahaha you serving champagne from 100ft of hose?

Im a set it and forget it guy myself, but I believe if you are gonna rock it around 30 psi for 2-5 minutes is the standard then set it to 11-12(whatever the good ol carb chart says). Some people leave it on 30 psi for 24 hours or so and then set it lower. Don't think I've ever seen anyone mention 50 psi...that's high!!

I usually force carb at 30 psi if the beer is cold, 40 psi if at room temp for 15 min of rocking. Amazing how the CO2 pours in while rocking. Then down to serving pressure 10-12 psi. Wait a day...

Considering the deed is done I would definitely consult a carb chart and turn down the psi right away. If its overcarbed you are gonna have to depressurize it by taking it off the gas and pulling the pressure relief valve every now and then until it's back to normal. Overcarbing is never a quick fix or fun experience which is exactly why I don't mess with it and just set it and leave it alone.

Thanks for the feedback. Like i said, first timer... Ill release some pressure and back it down from time to time.

About my pressure, 20 is what works for me. Maybe I have a faulty regulator because it pours perfect beers every time for commercial craft brews.

Back