Chocolate Stout w/ Bavarian Hefe Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
This is my base TEN GALLON Chocolate Stout:

Grain:

20LBS American 2-row
2 LBS flaked oats
1LB Chocolate Malt
1LB Roasted Barley

Hops:

3 OZ East Kent Goldings 60 minutes
1 OZ East Kent Goldings 15 minutes

30 IBUs Tinseth

Yeast:

Nottingham or S-05

Extras:

8OZ 100% Cocoa Power added 5 minutes before flameout
Dash of Chocolate Essence added when kegging

I wonder how this would turn out with Hefe yeast a la Wyeast Weihenstephan Wiezen 3068? I like the banana/clove flavors from this yeast but how would it turn out in a beer that isn't a wheat beer? Anyone tried something similar to this???

yeah i'm doing a 2.5 gallon extract test batch later on this week. If it works out well I'll do it on the full 10 gallon AG system....

I tried a chocolate banana porter once... I wish I had used a hefe yeast for it... I used banana extract. Wasn't that great.

But someday, I'd like to do it like this.

Not OP but I did something similar last year. No actual chocolate used, but I liked the flavor contribution of the pale chocolate malt over the regular chocolate for this application. Smelled wonderfully of bananas during fermentation (used wyeast 3068 and fermented at the high end of the temp range). It was a bit more subdued in the final product, but I was fond of the end result.

If people use hefeweizen yeast in weizenbocks, why not try it out in higher gravity stouts?
Seems like a great idea because the yeast is vigorous when it gets going and can produce banana esters under the right conditions.
It might even be an interesting idea to use in a lower gravity tropical stout recipe where you usually find a lager yeast. Just sayin' ....

Back