Beers that get you sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Ok besides the people that are just going to say that the BMC stuff makes them sick. There are a few beers out there that I like but they mess up my stomach and I get all sick feeling from even a few sips.
I love Guinness but Guinness Extra Stout in the glass bottle instantly gives me a headache, heartburn and makes me feel all sick. Also, Killians, and I love killians, but anything over a few onces and I get the worst stomach cramps.
I have quite possible the most finicky stomach of anyone I know so If I am alone here let me know.

My favorite bar in my town runs a dollar Killians special on Monday nights. It was awesome for the first year, but now I can't smell the stuff without feeling a little queasy (or queezy? sh*t, I don't know).

Anyway, I'm an alcoholic, so I don't get sick from drinking any beer, I get sick from stopping.

drink several 750 mL unibroue belgian-style brews in a few hours...that'll get the stomach turning. i went on a binge about a year ago and my stomach felt like it was rotting...

After two 750mL Belgian strongs, I don't know if I'd remember getting sick. I love the stuff to death, but I save it for nights when I'm only going to have "one" beer.

If having the Hershey Squirts counts as being sick, then I have to say Rolling Rock. I was at the local pub many many years ago and they were having some type of special on RR that night. I don't know how many I had, but I know how long I regretted having them.

I had a Raspberry Lambic at a beer-tasting event once that nearly made me lose all of the other beers I'd already drank. It actually tasted like I'd already vomited.

Cranberry Lambic. (which I hear isn't actually a lambic. I suspect that it is actually fermented with robitussin DM)

Miller I can actually stomach. Coors and Bud are disgusting.

cheezydemon said:
Cranberry Lambic. (which I hear isn't actually a lambic. I suspect that it is actually fermented with robitussin DM)

Miller I can actually stomach. Coors and Bud are disgusting.

It is quite funny how cranberry lambic tastes a lot like cough syrup....

Well I have never met a beer hat makes me sick - but I did try a can of FAX Extra Strong beer about 3 months ago. It is about 9% I believe and it wasnt the best beer I ever drank to say the least = I ended up pouring half the can down the sink - and i never do that :)

Coors and Coors Light have always given me a headache drinking less than half a beer. Other macrolagers I'm fine, it's always just Coors that does it. Ironic since I was born in Boulder, CO.....

I've had no problems, and I think I've tried about everything.

Of course, I've had more than a few "musical" mornings, so I don't know where that fits in.

TL

Natural Ice gives me a headache -

Icehouse and any Henry Weinhards give my hershey squirts.

Oh, well - I feel lucky that I don't have to miss out on anything I like.:p

Anything with wheat. Even just a small addition and I'll have abdominal pain, sulfurous gas and the trots throughout the next day. Curiously, I can eat wheat, ie wheat bread, with no problems. :drunk:

Anything Miller is an instant headache for me. Bud and Coors I'm fine, although Bud Select is about the only macro-lager I'll willingly drink, the rest tastes like, well, doesn't really taste like anything... Bud Select at least has a LITTLE flavor, still think it's pig swill though.

Commercial malt liquours (Mike's hard lemonade, etc...) give me abdominal cramps after the first bottle. Not like I'm going to vomit, more like my intestines have tied themselves in knots and then inflated like balloons. Extremely unpleasant. Too many girly mixed drinks have the same effect, I think it's the sweetness.

I haven't had a wheat beer that I can palate enough to get past the first two swallows before dumping it down the drain, so don't know about those.

Killians and Honey Brown give me the same effect as sweet drinks, severe cramping. That and I just don't like them, too sweet.

Can ya tell I don't have much of a sweet tooth :cross:

Now that I think about it Sam Crannberry Lambic made my stomach turn, too sour, I have had other lambics that did not do this so I think its just BBC that did it.

Any BMC on draft will give me an instant headache. I can drink it out of the bottle or can just fine (well, it is tasteless). I don't think I've had any beer that made my stomach hurt unless I had a dozen of them. Some things, I just don't like the taste off and won't drink though.

Pretty sure Killians is brewed by the Devil himself...I drank off a keg of it at a wedding once and haven't been able to smell that crap since.

kaptain_karma said:
After two 750mL Belgian strongs, I don't know if I'd remember getting sick. I love the stuff to death, but I save it for nights when I'm only going to have "one" beer.
not me, my roomate and i used to finish cases of the ****. i'd get wasted and be hungover, but the worst part was the stomach rot for the next couple of days...

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout made me hail the porcelain god over and over and over. Took me over a month to like stouts again after that incident.

Arneba28 said:
Now that I think about it Sam Crannberry Lambic made my stomach turn, too sour, I have had other lambics that did not do this so I think its just BBC that did it.

Ditto on that...ugghhh that stuff is horrible, just ruined my entire night after I drank it. Couldn't get that nasty taste out!

Mickey's
That should be all I have to say.
Ahh and Little Kings!!
Guaranteed to make you CR*P all the live long day....
Plus they taste like death.

HarvInSTL brought a habanero smoked beer to our last "gathering".

Absolutely awesome tasting.

It came after polishing off a couple coolers of varous homebrews between three of us (EdWort was there).

Again, fantastic beer, but there was no way I was going to make SWMBO wash those shorts the next day... :D

My dad drank a Schlafly's one time and it made the uvula in the back of his throat swell up like a water baloon. It got so big he had to be careful to not accidently bite down on it. He was having trouble breathing so my mom wanted to take him to the hospital, but he wasn't going to have any of that. He just slept on his stomach to make sure he didn't choke on it in the middle of the night. The next morning he was fine. True story - you can't make this stuff up.

Any kind of stout destroys my intestines. I have no idea why - but its really any stout (guiness is less so than others).

I mean - its so bad I stopped drinking them despite really loving them. I even tried to slowly build a 'tolerance' with my intestines and it just didn't work.

If I have even one I will have doomed future me to a morning of urinating from his anus. A knee shaking, life altering experience. If I'm lucking I just go out of body.

Anyone else get this?

I concur with some of the other responses...for whatever reason, I seem to get wretchedly sick the next day after I drink stout. Like, maybe leave bed by 6 pm sick. (Yes, I am a pantywaist when it comes to being hungover.)

However, I think a partial cause may be that I don't really care for stouts that much, but for some reason one always sounds good as the 10th or 12th pint in a night. Then, after I've been brought home I am so anxious to fall into bed that I forget the requisite quart or two of water and an aspirin...and you know what happens then.

Now, I *love* me a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and that never seems to do me any harm. It may also be that I drink one and am done with beer for the evening.

drsocc, you're supposed to DRINK the stouts, not... whatever the hell it is YOU'RE doing with them....

TexLaw said:
I've had no problems, and I think I've tried about everything.

Of course, I've had more than a few "musical" mornings, so I don't know where that fits in.

TL
I'm the same way. I don't have any problems but those around me might especially after attending the Spring Hop Fest I can be very aromatic. :D

earlytimes said:
My dad drank a Schlafly's one time and it made the uvula in the back of his throat swell up like a water baloon. It got so big he had to be careful to not accidently bite down on it. He was having trouble breathing so my mom wanted to take him to the hospital, but he wasn't going to have any of that. He just slept on his stomach to make sure he didn't choke on it in the middle of the night. The next morning he was fine. True story - you can't make this stuff up.

I believe it. Happens to me when I drink too much liquor. Haven't drank liquor like that in forever, but it feels like your are going to swallow your uvula. Didn't even know that word until today.

As for beer Heiny is the worst tasting thing I have ever tried to drink...on purpose.

Back