First time fermenter, long time beer lover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManTail

Reaction score
Hi there folks!

My name is Brandon. I'm a 32-year-old husband to my beautiful wife and father to my 3-year-old little girl. I work for a news organization out here in California as their web developer, as well as run my own business as a web designer/developer.

I picked up my first beer when I was 22, believe it or not. I hated it. Fast forward a few months later - I was being razzed by my buddies in a bar for drinking a Smirnoff Ice while they sipped on their brews. Long story short, an embarrassing moment took place (thanks to my buddies) and I haven't touched a Smirnoff Ice since then. I started drinking the usual commercial stuff whenever I felt like a cold one for many years, then ended up moving close to a Total Wine & More store. I quickly discovered their craft brew aisle. I made it a point to grab a 6 pack of new beers every couple of weeks and have found many of my favorite beers that way.

I ran across a video on YouTube a couple of months ago of a guy brewing his own beer. I don't know why, but something clicked right then. I had an immediate urge to watch more videos. I then decided to order John Palmer's book, "How to Brew". I read the entire book (not including the 'All Grain Brewing' section) in 3 days. My passion quickly grew. I jumped online and found Midwest Supplies about a month ago. I did a ton of research, trying to find the best beginner's kit to order. After lots of searching, I decided to piece together my own kit. It showed up a few weeks ago and I brewed my first batch (Midwest's Nutty Brown) the following day. That batch is currently bottle conditioning.

I'm a guy of many hobbies (fly fishing, golfing, building websites, upgrading our new home a room at a time, etc.) but homebrewing takes the cake right now. I'm excited about brewing from another kit or two, then delving into creating my own recipes. Eventually, I'd like to try all-grain brewing as well. Within the next year or two, I'd really like to start participating in some local, friendly competitions. I'm looking forward to doing this for many, many years. Everyone here has been a great help thus far and I've really enjoyed the e-company!

Best brews,
B

Welcome. A lot of expensive hobbies. Golf, home renovation, now brewing. Speaking from experience here.
Advice. If you like brewing extracts, invest in the larger equipment when going to AG. Get the 10+ gallon pot, 70qt cooler, etc. I've been upgrading (wasting $) as I go.
Again welcome to the addiction.

Back