Burco Boiler vs SS pot with separate controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting my first boiler / kettle, as the first step in upgrading from kits to AG brewing.

I am torn between getting a Burco/Buffalo boiler or building one out of a large pot + element + RTD.

I am swaying towards the Burco, as it is neat, has a concealed element (easier for cleaning) and it a little (not much) cheaper.

I want to buy once, and use it as I progress progress into AG and add a MLT.

Has anyone used both, and what are their recommendations?

Thank you

It seems like the burco is only 5 gal. I would use a home made controller. You will want at least a 7-8 gal pot for AG. with a home made setup if you want to go larger just swap the element to a bigger pot.

Great advice, I did not remember/know that I would need a bigger amount.

I will go for the Pot + Element + Controller route (I can always start with a manual switch system to save money and grow from there).

Again Thank you

Buffalo boilers go up to 40L iirc (11 or so US gallons)

They are about £90 from nisbetts or whoever own the brand and they sometimes have them on offer on their ebay store

If you go for a similar sized new pot and decent element and controller I think it would be a similar price wouldn't it?

If you decide to to brew even bigger than 40l then you could use the Buffalo as a HLT and buy one of the larger stock pots

just another option, either way would be good. There's a few threads on Jims beer kit about the buffalo boilers iirc

Back