Secondary Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyperlight66

Reaction score
So after brewing a couple batches, I've been trying to refine parts of my brewing process to make better beer. One part i don't control right now is my secondary temps. I've used wyeast 1010 and 1056, and have controlled the fermentation temps at 62-64 degs, with the use of a timer and "brew belt". My basement temps are upper 50's in the winter to 60 right now.

Do i need to worry about the secondary temps? Is it doing anything to help the beer sitting there in 56-60 deg room? do i need to invest in another "brew belt" to get the temps to the mid to upper 60's? Looking for opinions on secondary temps with common ale yeast.

Thanks

My suggestion is to do slightly longer primarys, and skip the secondary. On the home brew scale is does almost nothing for the beer. I only secondary if I'm adding something like fruit to a beer. You can even dry hop in the primary, just do it after the active fermentation is done.

i have the 5 gallon carboy already, so it frees up my fermentor for more beer :) plus it easier to keep yeast and sediment out of the bottling bucket

I second what TimTrone wrote. However, if you need to rack to a secondary to free up your fermenter, not a big deal.

I've been reading Zainasheff and White's book on Yeast which says most flavor compounds from yeast are generated in the first 3 days. I wouldn't worry as much about temp control after you move it to a different vessel. It certainly seems like you've got a spot that will keep it in an acceptable range.

--Jimbot

Last edited by a moderator:
Back