Bayou Classic SQ14 or KAB4?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dareibreathe

Reaction score
Looking at getting a new burner because mine has seen better days. Right not I do full 5 gallon batches in a Keggle but plan on making the switch to all grain in the near future. Is it worth the extra money for the KAB4 or should I go with the SQ14?

Go with the sq14. Unless you plan to upgrade the tank, you are limited how much propane can be drawn off with a 20# cylinder. I have the kab, but would go sq if I had to do it over again.

I have both and they each have plusses and minuses. The kab is great for a hlt since it heats fast, but it sucks for fine heating and burns a lot of propane. The sq14 has great fine control, has a great stable stand, and enough BTU to boil 14 gallons it just takes a little longer.
I'd definately go for the sq14 first and add the kab later if you want a second burner.

in order to drain form the sq14 to a carboy do you have to do anything to raise the height on it? e.g. put it on bricks/blocks? or is it tall enough that you can get gravity based flow to a normal 6g carboy without that?

I use the SQ14 exclusively and do 90 minute 7 gallon boils (reduces to about 5.7). I chill on the stand and then move it to a table top and use gravity to transfer it to my fermentor.

Piece of cake.

Back