Bubbling Before Bottling, After Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerveteca

Reaction score
I brewed a partial mash Oktoberfest from AHS with the 1% alcohol boost and was ready to bottle today (after ~10 days primary, 2 days protein rest, and four weeks lagering) and as the beer is on the counter coming to room temperature I noticed I'm getting activity in the airlock and bubbles are forming on the top of the brew.

This is my third lager and first time using the alcohol boost, but I've not observed this activity before and am concerned if I do bottle now I'll get bottle bombs. It was definitely not bubbling while lagering. Bubble rate now is about 2-3 bubbles a minute. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet, as I've never used it except for once a few batches back and the reading seemed so far off I questioned the validity, especially as the beer tasted perfect.

Lil help?

The airlock on a five gallon bucket of water in a bucket would bubble if it went from 35f to 70f. The air expands, and CO2 comes out of suspension as even plain tap water heats up.

Interesting, 2-3 bubbles per minute just coming to room temp? I dropped it back in the lagering fridge, but bumped the temp to 60 so I could keep watch. If it stops in the next day, I'll go ahead and bottle, but will be sure to check gravity before doing so. Thanks.

Back