Bulk lagering, then bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So it's my understanding from these boards that bulk lagering is preferred over bottle lagering. The only question I have is once you're done bulk lagering, do you just prime and condition as usual? Or do you resume lagering after the priming period?

I'd LOVE to get back into lagers especially since a corner of my basement is in the low-mid 50s, but to bulk lager I'd need a fridge, but I can stagger the bottles in and out of my normal fridge if I bottle lager.

After lagering, bottling, and once the carbonation period is over, you can store bottled lagers at room temp just like ales. You can even carbonate them at room temp... particularly if using dextrose. If using maltose (DME, saved wort, etc.), it's probably better to carb them at primary fermentation temps because the yeast could produce noticeable esters, etc. from fermenting maltose at higher temps.

Thanks for the quick, clear answer. I was just wanting to make sure once lagering was over warm temps didn't revert it back to an ale or anything. This was helpful.

Latest posts

Back