No Rinse Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeqmaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have decided to start trying to reuse my yeast. I transferred a cali common today and hadn't read anything about reusing yeast yet so I simply sanitized a mason jar and poured some of the remaining slurry into the jar... Now that I have been well acquainted with the method of "rinsing yeast" by the sticky, is it worth keeping the yeast I harvested? Is it common to just make a starter out of this, with the rinse? What do other people do?

Thanks

Check out my post 2 below yours. I "washed" once before (which I think turned out to actually be a re-pitch of everything in the bottom of my fermenter, trub included). The fermentation took off quickly, and I don't anticipate any problems, but it probably wasn't the best solution. From what others have recomended, I should have used more water for my washing. That said, I think you'll probably be fine with whatever you do if your harvest was recent, given my noobie experience with washing.

Back