dogfish head 120 Minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
just thought I'd share that i went to the flying saucer here in Houston and to my surprise they had dogfish head's 120 Minute IPA. So I had to try it and wow is that a strong beer and shockingly great taste with it as well. I was expecting it to taste harsh and over bearing, but this was not true it was extremely smooth and enjoyed every drop of the fine craft. I even had four other beers after that needless to say i was feeling really good and had a DD with me to get me home safely haha.

just thought I'd share that i went to the flying saucer here in Houston and to my surprise they had dogfish head's 120 Minute IPA. So I had to try it and wow is that a strong beer and shockingly great taste with it as well. and I even had four other beers after that needless to say i was feeling really good and had a DD with me to get me home safely haha.

Dogfish head is a fantastic brew. My in laws have a beach house in Milton, DE. They have a brewery there and it is fantastic. The Brew Pub in Rehoboth Beach is also great.

They also have a 60 and a 90.

Another thing DFH offers on Friday's is Randall the Enamel Animal. They run their 90 minute through this wonderful vessel and pour it right into your glass. One of the best things I have ever had.

Dogfish head is a fantastic brew. My in laws have a beach house in Milton, DE. They have a brewery there and it is fantastic. The Brew Pub in Rehoboth Beach is also great.

They also have a 60 and a 90.

Another thing DFH offers on Friday's is Randall the Enamel Animal. They run their 90 minute through this wonderful vessel and pour it right into your glass. One of the best things I have ever had.

I may just have to plan a mini vacation up there just for the Randall the Enamel Animal

I like the 120 because it is a unique beer. I like the 60 because it is one of my favorite IPAs (and I am not a huge IPA fan. Too often, just a bunch of hops thrown together)

my favorite between the three is the 90.

don't get me wrong, i love them all, but the 90 is just incredible, it's my favorite beer of all time actually

Brewing Network "Can You Brew It" just posted a clone show - I haven't listened to see if they did it or not, but might be interesting...

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/574

just listened to the show and the verdict was not cloned, but it was really close. it came out a bit sweeter due to having more un-ferment able sugars. although they did say that they would not change the recipe and that what made the difference was the brewing technique.

I generally really like Dogfish Head beers, especialy the 60 and 90 minute. 120 minute tastes like turpentine to me. I really had to force my way through it. I can handle big beers, but that was just disgusting to me.

Brewing Network "Can You Brew It" just posted a clone show - I haven't listened to see if they did it or not, but might be interesting...

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/574

that would be pretty interesting I'll have to check it out. thanks for the link

They have a brew kit here:

http://www.xtremebrewing.com/store/xtremekits.html

This guy is friends with the founder of DFH. They put kits together that you can make that replicate some DFH brews if you are interested.

I never heard about this beer until I listened to the BN show and I was on a mission to find it afterwards. After 5 stores I finally found two bottles but they were warm so I had to force myself to buy a cold pack of the 90 also. I tried the 90 Wednesday night and wow what a great beer! Immediately on my favorite list. So last night I called a friend over and cracked open the 120's and holy shat it was like drinking the nectar of the gods! Totally amazing stuff and I could not believe its a 20% beer until we finished them off then it was clearly a 20% beer! :tank:

So now I am on another mission to brew this myself. I have more than enough grain and hops on hand and ordered the corn sugar today with the morebeer deal of the day plate filter. But now what to do with my 6 gallon setup! Do I really want to do all this work for just 5 finished gallons? Now I need to find the cheapest conical and large brew pot. I will probably go with the plastic 14.5 gal conical but what to do for the pot....

This is really going to cost me I believe…Damn you Dogfish Head! Damn You!

I never heard about this beer until I listened to the BN show and I was on a mission to find it afterwards. After 5 stores I finally found two bottles but they were warm so I had to force myself to buy a cold pack of the 90 also. I tried the 90 Wednesday night and wow what a great beer! Immediately on my favorite list. So last night I called a friend over and cracked open the 120's and holy shat it was like drinking the nectar of the gods! Totally amazing stuff and I could not believe its a 20% beer until we finished them off then it was clearly a 20% beer! :tank:

So now I am on another mission to brew this myself. I have more than enough grain and hops on hand and ordered the corn sugar today with the morebeer deal of the day plate filter. But now what to do with my 6 gallon setup! Do I really want to do all this work for just 5 finished gallons? Now I need to find the cheapest conical and large brew pot. I will probably go with the plastic 14.5 gal conical but what to do for the pot....

This is really going to cost me I believe…Damn you Dogfish Head! Damn You!

good luck with the brew. let us know how it turns out and i would suggest a keggle for a pot if you can scrounge one up. also with the 120min ipa from what i heard in the brewing network show its not only the recipe but the technique of the brew that really judges the final out come of the beer. if you haven't listened to it yet i would check it out, might help with your process.

good luck with the brew. let us know how it turns out and i would suggest a keggle for a pot if you can scrounge one up. also with the 120min ipa from what i heard in the brewing network show its not only the recipe but the technique of the brew that really judges the final out come of the beer. if you haven't listened to it yet i would check it out, might help with your process.

Yea I listened to it twice so far and will again and again before my new conical is delivered for this! I was think about a keegel but then I read that for 10 gal batches having a 20gal pot is better and kegs are 15 something correct? Anyway the conical is on the way so the pot or keggle is next up. So keggel, Blichmann 20gal or Polarware…..Decisions decisions!

Now I got to stock up on baggies and paper cups!

Yea I listened to it twice so far and will again and again before my new conical is delivered for this! I was think about a keegel but then I read that for 10 gal batches having a 20gal pot is better and kegs are 15 something correct? Anyway the conical is on the way so the pot or keggle is next up. So keggel, Blichmann 20gal or Polarware…..Decisions decisions!

Now I got to stock up on baggies and paper cups!

alright seems like your just about ready to go. as for the pot i myself would either go with the polarware or keggle due to not having funds for a blichmann. really its all about how much you want to spend. and i believe keggles are what DFH brewery used when initially creating the beer so it should be efficient enough.

I generally really like Dogfish Head beers, especialy the 60 and 90 minute. 120 minute tastes like turpentine to me. I really had to force my way through it. I can handle big beers, but that was just disgusting to me.
+1 the stuff was just plain nasty to me. like drinking LME.

Back