skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to make this I have a couple of questions:

I believe I can find yeast nutrient and yeast energizer at my LHBS?

But where do I find - Potassium metabisulfite (Kmeta), Potassium sorbate (sorbate), and Sparkolloid????

There is talk about adding other fruit flavors like rasberry or cranberry, what, where, and how do you do it?

Also I plan on kegging mine and carbing with CO2 anything special I need to do?

And how long does it take to make this stuff from start to finish?

Everything should be available at the brew store. However I did not use the sparkaloid as mine is clearing out very well without it.

The other flavors are from the yeast slurry that you should use. I used plum wine slurry and pitched it into the skeeter pee.

No idea about kegging, and time frame was rather short. Just a few weeks. There is no aging involved. as soon as it is fermented dry, rack into a clean carboy with the sulphite and sorbate.. wait a few days and it will start to fall clear rack again into a clean carboy and add the final sugar. Make sure fermentation does not restart and bottle or keg. Mine is ready to bottle now but I am lazy today ( who am I kidding, I am lazy all the time) and drew a glass out of the carboy with a siphon to drink with dinner tonight!

I wonder how it would be with a Kölsch yeast....

no idea... I have only ever had a hard time getting a ferment to start once and that was with a lemonade..... Whatever yeast you use I recommend making a starter ( unless you are using a slurry of course.. I am gonna do another on an apfelwein slurry this week I think) and slowly adding in some of the lemon mix over a few hours to a couple of days to proof the yeast. when I do that I have ZERO problems getting it to take off.

Wish I had seen this a couple days ago I just dumped the slurry from my Apfelwein yesterday when I transferred to a keg :(

So is there anything else I can use??? My next batch of Apfelwein won't be ready for another month. I wanted to make some of this skeeter pee now.

Wish I had seen this a couple days ago I just dumped the slurry from my Apfelwein yesterday when I transferred to a keg :(

So is there anything else I can use??? My next batch of Apfelwein won't be ready for another month. I wanted to make some of this skeeter pee now.

I would think that a champagne yeast that was started and proofed would work fine. Keep in mind I have made it once and that is it.

Ok another silly question how do you start and proof yeast?

In this case I would mix up some sugar water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top , cover it and wait for it to get active ....then every hour or so I would put a small amount of the lemon mix in the bowl until I was satisfied that the yeast was gonna survive the acidity.
If someone else tells you a different method, listen to them as I am newish to this stuff also.....

I just drank some of this... you ever been drinking...going along fine then realize....UH OH. well thats what happened with this stuff... sweet and good.. no hint of alcohol and all of a sudden you cant walk right.

Can't wait to make some I am going to wait and use the slurry off the batch of Apfelwein I will keg in November, it's Apple, Pineapple, Cran/Rasp.

I just started another batch a couple days ago on an apfelwein slurry... going like a good beer ferment. My son is here now recommending I make a lot more of it... says he likes it even more than beer........and trust me he likes beer a LOT lol.

I have 5 gallons going now as well. Pitched Montrachet and it has been going strong for a week now. Cloudy and creamy looking.

I plan to bottle at least 2 gallons worth and keg the rest at 2.5vols.

I have 5 gallons going now as well. Pitched Montrachet and it has been going strong for a week now. Cloudy and creamy looking.

I plan to bottle at least 2 gallons worth and keg the rest at 2.5vols.
Take a little advice...TASTE it after you mix in the sweetening sugar before bottling and kegging. I followed the recipe BUT let it get dryer than 1.000 so this bunch is not as sweet as I would like it. next bunch will be mixed and tasted then adjusted before bottling.

Take a little advice...TASTE it after you mix in the sweetening sugar before bottling and kegging. I followed the recipe BUT let it get dryer than 1.000 so this bunch is not as sweet as I would like it. next bunch will be mixed and tasted then adjusted before bottling.

Thanks.

So has anyone kegged yet?
I'm interested in what the fizzy version tastes like?
How much extra sugar do you need (to compensate for the carbonation)?

I've got a sour cherry cider/wine fermenting and plan to use the slurry for this project.

Latest posts

Back