yeast starter container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
I would like to do a yeast starter using 2 cups water and 1/2 cup DME. Is using a 750ml wine bottle too small for this? I am new to the home brewing hobby.

TIA for advise. Joe

That's going to make about a 1.100 wort which is much too strong for a starter. The yeast will die as the alcohol increases. 1:10 by weight is a pretty standard ratio. 500ml of water to 50g of DME is more like what you would want.

A 750ml wine bottle would hold the volume of starter you are proposing, but it's not a great container for it. I use mason jars. The are easy to pour things into, and you can tighten the lid and give it a shake to aerate. If the top is left just a little loose while the yeast cultures the gasses can escape and not much air will exchange so the chance of contamination is low.

Almost any container that has a lid that can seal and a wide mouth works well.

look into the starter kits from bigger supply shops. but I have used my growlers with great success in the past. along with 1L swing top bottles w/foil over the top.

The above information is incorrect!

2 cups (1 pint) of water per 1/2 cup DME is absolutely perfect. That will give a starter OG of approximately 1.038-1.040, which is exactly right.
Thanks for the correction, I read that too quickly. Sorry about that.

1 lb of DME is about 4 cups which makes 1/2 cup of DME about 2 oz to the 16 oz of water which is about 8:1 by weight which is fine.

Back