Dogfishead 90 IPA & 60 IPA musings.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
I sure like these beers. The 90 especially. I got a clone recipe that I tried that purported to come from BYO magazine. I have heard the zymurgy had a clone recipe back in 2005 or so for the 90, but have not been able to locate anyone with a copy of it. Id be very interested in seeing their recipe to compare to the one I have now.
I was given a highly respected recipe for the 60 min IPA, but had never tried the real deal till last night, was always drinking the 90s. It seemed like a lighter version of the 90, but strangely similar. From what I can gather from their website, the 60 uses the same hops and such, but just isnt as extreme.
I would like to read anybodys input on either of these beers, as well as seeing a copy of the zymurgy 90 recipe, if someone out there has it.
Thanks in advance to any input.
I bid you all a great day!

They're both pretty good, but there are certainly better commercial examples of both styles to be had.

Yooper has a recipe for the 60 min. I attempted to scale it up once for the 90 minute by adding 1.5x everything and adding another .75 gallon of water to the sparge to get a larger preboil volume, and boiling for 90 minutes, adding a mixture of hops every 10 minutes. It came out well, but the OG was much much bigger than it should have been because I didn't account enough water for the 90 min boil. Around 1.098! I ended up keeping half of it with around 105 IBU according to beersmith, and added enough water to get to 1.085. My advice would be to scale it up 125%, because the 11% constantly hopped beast that I created is only great when used sparingly. (its given many an overzealous ipa drinker bad bad heartburn)

I like them both, and have both in my fridge right now for tonight (thanks to a Beerswap- DFH isn't available here!). Anyway, to me, they serve different purposes. If I want a nice sipping beer (and only one), I'll reach for the 90 minute. If I want to have a couple of beers and still be able to do my "normal" things like play with the dog, I reach for the 60 minutes. The 90 minute is bigger in body and bitterness but pretty balanced. The 60 minute is lighter bodied and more toward the hoppy flavor that I love. My DFH clone is a 60 minute clone, but it does come in at around 7% ABV.

Back