Force carbonating with keg charger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesZeagleir

Reaction score
Is it possible to force carbonate a keg using a portable keg charger (Genuine Innovations keg charger) using 16 gram co2 cartridges?

And if so, how much time and cartridges would it take? Buddy at my local Homebrew store said it's doable but that I should look into it before attempting.

1x 16gram CO2 cart = 30 in^3 @ standard temp & pressure (STP)

5 gallons = 1155 in^3

1155 / 30 = 38.5 cartridges for every 5 gallon volume @ STP

Not economical. You can still use priming sugar and just seal the keg with the charger.

Wow 38 cartridges.
I guess I'll just stick to priming instead. But this is my first time using a keg; if I naturally carbonate it will it dispense all the sediment.

Wow 38 cartridges.
I guess I'll just stick to priming instead. But this is my first time using a keg; if I naturally carbonate it will it dispense all the sediment.

You will get minimally more sediment in a naturally carbed keg than in a force carbed keg. Not enough to make a difference.

When you start to serve, the first three or four ounces will be yeast sludge. After that, clear beer will be served (as long as the keg isn't moved around). But that's the case for force carbed beer, also, unless someone filters before kegging.

Back