Rack to Secondary When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need help. I have a Lager in my basement. It is an a Bocktoberfest. I brewed it from all grain in Feb 12th. So today is 21 days and it is in late kraeusen the temp is 50 F. It started flocculation 3 days ago and is still dropping significantly. Do I rack it to secondary now or let it go until the kraeusen is completely gone?

Yes I am planning a D-Rest, today is day 21. The fermenter still has bubbling foamy kraeusen but not like it was. So I want to do a D-Rest and then rack to secondary. So when should I start the D-Rest? Wait till kraeusen completely falls or do the D-Rest while it falls? It has been fermenting nicely for 21 days... how much longer should I let it go?

Well I decided to rack my lager to secondary. So last night I brought it up from the cold basement into a warm closet and this morning it is bubbling away like crazy. So was it stuck or is this normal, does a lager restart fermenting when it starts to warm up?

Well I went a head and racked this lager to secondary and placed it back the basement for 21 more days.... then to the bottle it will go.

OG was 1.061
Current FG 1.014

Tasted superb, a little more spicy than I indented but was smooth and creamy.
Pretty good for my first batch of All Grain and only the second batch of beer I ever made!!!

A big THANK YOU ALL on HBT that help me out!!!

Back