Off Site Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mase

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. Quick question for you all...

I'm doing my first ever offsite brewday for National Home Brew Day in May at my LHBS. I'm mkaing an extract jalapeno saison and plan to make a starter (as always).

My question is would you bring the starter and pitch on site when the wort is cool enough and risk oxidize the FV on the way home (30 minute ride) or wait and bring the wort home and pitch there? Only thing I can forsee going wrong there would be the wort temp being off.

Thanks in advance.

When I've done this I bring the wort home, give it a chance to settle down from the ride home and then pitch the yeast. I have not had any issues with the temps, although I am usually not traveling that far and have not had any problems. BTW, good for you! National Homebrew Day is a lot of fun if shared with a bunch of people!

If it gets shaken a bit that's a good thing. Yeast need oxygen in the beginning. Any that's in there will be purged during the fermentation process.

Its your choice really on when to pitch. Not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the input! I'm sure it's always a new brewers thing to fret over every little thing but coming to this board as well as the info accumulated through my brew club always puts me at ease. :mug:

I always wait to pitch my yeast until I get home. Let it sit for a bit, aerate, then pitch.

Back