name for your homebrewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yummybeer

Reaction score
just wondering if there is anyone out there who maybe has a name for their homebrewery? if so, please share. i'm thinking about giving my homebrewery a name. :mug:

I think most of us do name our brewery.

Got to find a reason to name it. Maybe someone important in your life, a hobby, favorite type of movie, etc....

I've been thinking about coming up with one myself. Nothing on the short list quite yet, but the idea started.

You should consider Bottom Shelf Brewery, in recognition of your profile pic :D

I used to call my brewery the, "Yellowstone Trail Brewery" as I live just off that historical trail.

I just bought a place on a trout stream, "Vance Creek". As I also moved from a three tier system to a single, I thought I would rebrand myself. I will now be the Vance Creek Brewery. :mug:

My name was made before I even thought it up. Only by being in a wheelchair for 18 months could I explore the full beer making realm. I mean, I needed a new hobby, since hockey, hiking, camping, kayaking and canoeing were out. So, I looked at my Mr beer and my BeerMachine 2000, and my carboys for winemaking and thought, "Hmmmmmm. I wonder if I could make beer from a wheelchair". So, Broken Leg Brewery was born.

Either "Valley Road Brewery" or "Upper Jay Brewery". I think the former.

i'm considering "happy horse homebrew" because i grew up around horses.

I just changed mine today to The Middle of Nowhere Brew House, because I live in the Middle of Nowhere. I aldo came up with a name for my hoegaarden clone. I will unveil it in the label thread tomorrow after I finish my label for it.

I just changed mine today to The Middle of Nowhere Brew House, because I live in the Middle of Nowhere. I aldo came up with a name for my hoegaarden clone. I will unveil it in the label thread tomorrow after I finish my label for it.
What's up with you people from the north-north-east??? I read about a woman in Nova Scotia who was attacked and killed (eaten?) by a pack of coyotes or something like that...:D

What's up with you people from the north-north-east??? I read about a woman in Nova Scotia who was attacked and killed (eaten?) by a pack of coyotes or something like that...:D

the woman was a folk singer from toronto actually. 19 years old, in nova scotia on tour promoting her debut CD. sad story, but completely preventable. She went hiking alone in an area she knew nothing about. she died in hospital as a result of her injuries, she was mauled pretty bad by a couple coyotes.

the woman was a folk singer from toronto actually. 19 years old, in nova scotia on tour promoting her debut CD. sad story, but completely preventable. She went hiking alone in an area she knew nothing about. she died in hospital as a result of her injuries, she was mauled pretty bad by a couple coyotes.
Yeah, the folk singer, that's the one.

Hiking in the wilderness without a stick, mace or a gun is kind of stupid in the first place.

Sounds a lot like that idiot that went to live with the grizzly's...I guess his 13th year was bad luck...;)

I am not naming mine until I build a stand. I think it would be kind of weird to give my 2 keggles and lot of plastic buckets and better bottles a name

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
I want it, I want it, I want it...

The Who knows.

I can't even count how many times I've listened to Live at Leeds.

My brewery is named "Beach Cities Beer" after a road sign on the 5. Beers named after SoCal beaches.

I've considered re-naming it Conspiracy Theory and naming the beers after, well conspiracy theories. Moon Landing Lambic, Grassy Knoll Kolsch, Area 51 IPA....

Mine's Pivovara Xenia, pivovara being a brewery. Xenia is like so:

Xenia (Greek: ξενία, xenía) is the Greek concept of hospitality, or generosity and courtesy shown to those who are far from home. It is often translated as "guest-friendship" (or "ritualized friendship") because the rituals of hospitality created and expressed a reciprocal relationship between guest and host.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia_(Greek)

There are multiple reasons for this name. It's not very multi cultural here and you tend to see more open racism here than I'm used to in the States. It's not like everyone is racist or anything, but there's a bit more racism here in my experience (as well as strong homophobia). And there's obviously a lot of ethnic strife here. So I had been looking for something like the opposite of Xenophobia and came across Xenophilic first, then Xenia. Xenia seemed like a better fit because I am also a foreigner here and people have treated me great. And I use ingredients from many different countries. So, sort of an "embrace diversity" kinda name. Figured it couldn't hurt to send a positive message.

Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus, Magic Bus
I want it, I want it, I want it...

The Who knows.
I went a similar direction: Spanish Castle Brewery

I actually did not have a name for it and almost never name my beers either. But I needed something to put on the handle of my new mash paddle so I picked SCB (ldo).

It's very far away
Takes about a half a day
to get there
If you travel by my,
Dragonfly
:D

Way back when I was first homebrewing and still learning the basics, I spent considerable time thinking up beer names and making labels. After a while, I found that I had learned enough to actually hope to make some very good beer. Labels and Names quickly vanished as I spent my free mind moments thinking about the brewing process.

Also, I got a Kegerator, and haven't done much bottling since then, so...

But I have sort of started thinking about it again, just can't seem to find a name that sounds good and fits well.

My wife came up with it, Some Guy's Brewery. "Some Guy's IPA" "Some Guy's Sweet Stout" etc. I liked it so I got it inscribed on my mash paddle.

How do you go about protecting the name? I did a Google search on the name I came up with and found no hits. So maybe it would be worth copyrighting. Some day it might sell and make me rich.

OK, I did a search on "Copyright a name," turns out you don't copyright you Trademark the name. Went to U.S. Patent and Trademark office, did a search and came up with nothing. Might be worth following up on just for kicks. Cost will be the deciding factor on this exercise, unless I find out someone else has it.

The deal on a federally registered trademark is that you have to use the mark in interstate commerce (or file an "intent to use" application and start using it within a certain amount of time). I suppose you could make a cafepress site, or something like that, and register the mark for clothing. I wouldn't recommend marketing your homebrew, unless you want the Federales knocking on your door. :D

Cost is a big deal, though. Just the filing fee is roughly $300 per class, and there are a number of other fees you will have to pay to issue and maintain the registration. In other words, it's a hell of a chunk of change. The whole process can take about a year or so, too.

Another option is to register a state trademark. As far as I know, that is much less expensive and complicated process. I don't know how that goes with all the other states, but Texas registrations are handled by the Texas Secretary of State's office.

TL

Another fortune lost.

I'll look at the state trademark idea. Maybe someday Rockfish Brewery will go nationwide. Until then I guess I'll have to stay within the confines of Iowa. My own yard in Iowa to be exact.

i don't think i, myself, will worry about trademarking my name unless i go pro. until then, bottoms up! :rockin:

I googled mine and found nothing, so I thought about getting a trademark for mine (hey, you never know) and looked into the process. It's pretty simple, but since my brewery name is already trademarked (some lawyer out in San Franscisco is named in the documentation), I dropped it. It was as much about protecting my idea as it was about taking things to the next level some day. If someone else tried to open a Black Diamond Brewing, I wanted to be able to reach agreement - maybe have them brew some batches to my specs.

It ties back to another avocation of mine, skiing. Most of my beers are named and labeled (sort of) with skiing references. My Imperial Pale Ale is Double Black Diamond Ale, my normal is just Black Diamond Pale Ale, and once in a while I will name something Green Circle or Blue Square ale, but for those, I am very flexible about recipes. I kind of have to be since that's about all there is for trail designations.

Fifth%20Dimension%20Bruisers.JPG

I think I decided on Vagabond Nanobrewery because I searched Vagabond Brewery and found one on Facebook already. There was also a Vagabond House Brewery. Besides, I think my single 6.5 gallon bucket and 5 gallon carboy would qualify as a "nano" brewery :)

Latest posts

Back