About to embark on a 4912 Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
Hey All,

I wanted to drop a small line and let you all know that I just picked up a Sanyo 4912, and will be converting as based on "Bufords" write up:

http://community.livejournal.com/homebrewing/413981.html

I however am going to make a few small modifications. (Yes I had a few beers tonight, so forgive me). My best friend is an electronics engineer, and builds those million dollar home theatres for the movie stars. He took a real quick once over on the unit and realized that the temperature control sensor is a basic momentary contact that is controled by a pressure sensitive device. Quite simply, if you take the wires off the controller and permanently fuse them, the device would just run constantly.

As with any good 4912 conversion I will be using my own temperature control, so it seems like the immediate plan would be to hard wire the engagement wires, and just use the digital controller.

After leaving my buddies house, I spent some time on these forums and found that the light switch (which I originally planned on keeping) no longer works, since it is based on the plastic crap on the door. Then I realized that the entire upper unit in the fridge was no longer useful.

My theory is as follows...(this is yet untested, but I will have a final answer tomorrow)

Remove the entire temperature unit, light included, and pull the wires back out of the unit. Hard wire the two wires that turn on and off the compressor, done. Take the wires that run to the switch and then light, clip them to just the power source wires, and hard wire those to a 12 volt converter. Then run the 12 volt converter to the project box/fan unit.

If my theory is correct, you will only need one 120v plug for your digital controller, and nothing more. I will let you all know tomorrow what I find out.

Got the door redone with a piece of Dry Erase. That was probably the most difficult part. I used the plastic piece as a template, but there is a bulge toward the bottom middle, so it took a little finesse to get the template drawn up. And then of course a couple screw holes were a hair off, so I had to play with them to get them all sunk. Last the rubber is designed to go around a thick lip, so getting it just right under the board was a bit of a pain. Anyways, thats all done.

I got the wood fitted in the underside of the top, and the hole drilled through the whole unit. The fridge just needs to be reassembled at this point. I also need to setup the temp sensor and the cool air box to run air up into the tap tree.

I should have it all finished by tomorrow night.:fro:

Funny side note. My buddy drilled the large hole in the top while I was inside working on the door. He comes in and says "Hey dude, theres a problem". Of course I got that Uh Oh look on my face, and then he says "Theres a hole in the top of your fridge".

Back