Announcing new project #4!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSounds

Reaction score
So I haven't put any time in the chiller build because SWIMBO has me working on other things... It started with "Why is the deck wavy?" and lead to the discovery of this remarkable example of engineering prowess... (Note the generous helping of shims, and the Beautiful example of "Here, I'll bet this will help!")
DSC_6531.JPG

DSC_6532.JPG

DSC_6527.JPG

Well, that explains the deck, and my last 2 weekends. All that remains of the above assembly of Red-Green inspired pieces and parts, is the photos above. The new deck is going in this Sunday! Then it's a week in FL on the beach with 15 gallons of homebrew :mug: 3 more weekends of not touching the chiller...

But in the midst of this fun and excitement, I discovered a gem! There is a 50 amp GFI breaker on the back side of the house! The box had a padlock on it from the previous owner, and I never bothered to cut it off until last weekend. Apparently the genius that designed the deck, also pre-wired the lower deck for a hot tub!

New project: Trench newly-discovered 50 amp 220 circuit to the garage 20' away, install sub panel and re-wire the garage! It is in dire need of some better lighting anyway, and it's due time I got rid of the 15 amp 110v screw-in-fuse circuit feeding it right now. I'm sure I can't be held responsible if there happens to be a 50 amp 220v receptacle on the wall below the new panel right?!? :rockin:

Also, stay tuned for "New project #5" later on this summer: B20e :tank:

Wow there is some funky framing going on.

"Hey we have some scrap wood and a few joist hangers we should put an deck on this place."

Wow there is some funky framing going on.

"Hey we have some scrap wood and a few joist hangers we should put an deck on this place."

Yea, I'm not sure WTF was going on in his head, but it certainly wasn't "thought"
The scary part: The friggin thing was permitted and inspected! W.O.W.

At least it doesn't seem that it was totally dependent on its connection to the house for any lateral stability. And you were only a foot or two off the ground.

don't tell your wife about that 'hot tub' potential, otherwise your garage will never see that service!

I feel your pain, sweet. We bought our house two years ago, and in the inspection process we were told that the deck would need to be replaced in "4-5 years or so". Fast forward to about six months ago, when one of the support beams completely failed. I poke my head underneath, and whoever built it used stacks of green 2x4s - not 2x6s or bigger, and certainly not pressure treated - for the joists. The whole thing needs to be ripped up and replaced, and a wonderful cost of about $10k.

don't tell your wife about that 'hot tub' potential, otherwise your garage will never see that service!

hehe Yea... She knows about it. She just has no desire for a hot tub! "That's what the boat's for". She wants her deck back and better power in the garage!
She makes requests for brew day too! :mug:

God I love this woman...

I feel your pain, sweet. We bought our house two years ago, and in the inspection process we were told that the deck would need to be replaced in "4-5 years or so". Fast forward to about six months ago, when one of the support beams completely failed. I poke my head underneath, and whoever built it used stacks of green 2x4s - not 2x6s or bigger, and certainly not pressure treated - for the joists. The whole thing needs to be ripped up and replaced, and a wonderful cost of about $10k.

Ouch! We're fortunate that this one is only about 14x20 and right on the ground. $600 in materials, and her labor is "free" (If they don't find you handsome...)
The new deck is going to be (3) 6x6 posts in concrete, supporting 2x8 joists, holding up 2x6 deck boards. I'm NOT going to be doing this again in 5 years ;)

At least it doesn't seem that it was totally dependent on its connection to the house for any lateral stability. And you were only a foot or two off the ground.

It's a d**ned good thing too, the ledger board was attached with 3" deck screws... It literally peeled off the house!

Ouch! We're fortunate that this one is only about 14x20 and right on the ground. $600 in materials, and her labor is "free" (If they don't find you handsome...)
The new deck is going to be (3) 6x6 posts in concrete, supporting 2x8 joists, holding up 2x6 deck boards. I'm NOT going to be doing this again in 5 years ;)
Yeah, ours is (thankfully) ground level, but it's a wacky shape, with steps all over the place, odd angles, and all in all about 40x20. If I felt remotely confident, I'd do it myself with the aid of a few others, but SWMBO keeps changing her mind about what she wants to do out there. (Let's pull it up, and put a smaller deck. No wait, let's have steps leading down to a stone patio. No wait, let's rebuild it the same size. No wait...)

Either way, I do it myself and it's still well over $5,000 worth of materials - as well as uncovering whatever hideous secrets are lurking under there. Like you tho, when I do it, I'm doing it right. Trex all the way!

i hope he wasn't planning on putting the hot tub ON that deck....

Yeah, ours is (thankfully) ground level, but it's a wacky shape, with steps all over the place, odd angles, and all in all about 40x20. If I felt remotely confident, I'd do it myself with the aid of a few others, but SWMBO keeps changing her mind about what she wants to do out there. (Let's pull it up, and put a smaller deck. No wait, let's have steps leading down to a stone patio. No wait, let's rebuild it the same size. No wait...)

Either way, I do it myself and it's still well over $5,000 worth of materials - as well as uncovering whatever hideous secrets are lurking under there. Like you tho, when I do it, I'm doing it right. Trex all the way!

This one had/has Trexish material on it. I'm putting PT 2x6's back instead. The synthetic stuff was delaminating or something. And there wasn't any gap between boards. It literally held water! OTOH it was 14 years old too...

I sold the old boards yesterday on CL for $50... Sold in 2 hours! Guess I should have asked more.

Good luck on yours!

i hope he wasn't planning on putting the hot tub ON that deck....

No! I did check the lower deck out. It's actually properly assembled. Good news. I'll probably just replace the Trex later on this summer so it matches the new deck.

where in Florida ya going? I leave on the 2nd of may to siesta Key off Sarasota.Son lives there.

St. George is a nice area, have fun. It's my regular go to beach.

Permit? Inspection? Wow indeed. That inspection must have been over the phone.

My deck was a multi level rotten monstrosity, too. We were able to use the posts only, added a couple more, and decked it in redwood, which is beautiful but soft and easy to get black marks from stuff sitting out. If I were to do it again, (not for years to come now) I might consider epay or whatever that super hard wood is.

Last fall I did a 14x20 deck with the PVC decking material. The stuff is a bit expensive ($42 for 5"x16'), but I can clean it with a mop :)

All that remains of the above assembly of Red-Green inspired pieces and parts, is the photos above.

Red Green inspired pieces my ass. I don't see even ONE piece of duct tape. I'm very disappointed in those pictures.

I was in St. George Island in Februrary. I love that area- I ate fresh oysters at every meal. I loved going to Up the Creek Raw Bar in Appalachicola. We rented a big house on Alligator Point, and spent quite a bit of time in Appalach and Panacea. We're going to be wintering in the area, starting next year!

Red Green inspired pieces my ass. I don't see even ONE piece of duct tape. I'm very disappointed in those pictures.

I was in St. George Island in Februrary. I love that area- I ate fresh oysters at every meal. I loved going to Up the Creek Raw Bar in Appalachicola. We rented a big house on Alligator Point, and spent quite a bit of time in Appalach and Panacea. We're going to be wintering in the area, starting next year!

I can assure you there is, Yooper! It's wrapped around the end of the flexible conduit on the end of that 50 amp circuit! Glad I didn't throw the friggin breaker! 14 year old duct tape is not going to stop that conduit laying in the dirt from getting wet...

We rented a big house on Alligator Point, and spent quite a bit of time in Appalach and Panacea. We're going to be wintering in the area, starting next year!

:off:
Hm. Is the brewing stuff making it down there for the winter;)?? The family house is on the bay about a mile inside the bridge. So Alligator point is just a 10 minute drive. If you're into fishing Oct/Nov is by far the best time of year to do that.

My deck was a multi level rotten monstrosity, too. We were able to use the posts only, added a couple more, and decked it in redwood, which is beautiful but soft and easy to get black marks from stuff sitting out. If I were to do it again, (not for years to come now) I might consider epay or whatever that super hard wood is.

Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) is both beautiful and hard as hell!! My deck is due also, still trying to source ipe for a halfway reasonable price. So far no dice!!

Back