Scored an old Bev Air - need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasMcCall

Reaction score
I scored an old Beverage Air kegerator for $200. Mechanically it's fine. The compressor does not look original, it looks to be a replacement. The plate lists it as a DD22 but I can find no info on this model using Google. (And I thought that "DD" stood for double door?) Here's a pic of the outside:

Kegeratorresized.jpg

The interior is in good shape given it's age (the plate says it uses R12):

Kegerator2resized.jpg

What I'd like to know is:

Does this go by another model designation? It looks like a BM23 except for the door handle.

Did this model have a stainless door and stainless sides? It's all metal, no vinyl on the sides, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before stripping off that awful paint job on the door.

What's the best way to strip off the paint? I was going to use an aerosol remover I use that does a great job on motorcycle sheet metal.

If the door looks bad after stripping I was going to repaint with a black "chalkboard" paint so I could write down what's on tap. Anyone have any experience with these type of paints on metal?

Bev Air uses DD for Direct Draw. This model is a BM23 now, but it may be old enough to have been called a DD22. They have changed model names at least twice in the last 3 years.
Go here to verify your serial num and manufacture date:
http://www.beverage-air.com/Main.aspx?pid=30&tab=31
The door might have originally been SS but I am pretty sure the sides came black from the factory.

Back