"Hacking" a Grainfather?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponge

Reaction score
Hey all,
When I lived in a tiny London flat I used to (barely) manage to brew 1 or 2 gallon batches using my electric stove and some smallish stockpots. Now that I've moved to New Zealand I'm desperate to restart my brewing and would like to start building a larger and more polished setup. I'll be moving house soon so I'm not 100% sure how much space I'll have available, but I think I'd prefer the smaller form factor of a piece of kit like the Grainfather rather than a larger 2 or 3 kettle rig. However I've also started playing around and experimenting with electronics and part of my enjoyment from brewing is in hacking together and building DIY components.

I had toyed with the idea of building my own version of the Grainfather, with some added extras (computer based temperature control to have non-manual mash profiles, automatic sparging from another vessel - probably a stainless steel FV with a removeable heating element) but I don't think I can do it for cheaper than the Grainfather costs. Also I like the aesthetic of it and I'm a bit scared that anything I build would be a bit rough around the edges (I have to get all of this past my wife for approval, so neatness is a factor).

So really I'm asking is if you guys think it should be possible in theory to 'hack' or bypass the temperature controller on the Grainfather and replace it with my own. Probably an Opentroller BX2 or a BrewPi. As far as I understand it the current temperature controller is pretty much an STC-1000 so has no option for serial input/control, so I'd probably remove that which should leave me with a pre-installed temperature probe (no idea what kind/model), and power cables for the pump, heating element, and the 500W/2000W switch for the heating element. I should be able to just wire these into my own controller right? Or is there likely to be a lot more to it than that? Like I said I'm a real beginner, but I do have a friend at work who is an expert in electronics that I can go to for help with the technical side, I'm really just wondering from a theoretical point of view if there's something I'm missing with this idea.

Cheers guys.

Hey all,
When I lived in a tiny London flat I used to (barely) manage to brew 1 or 2 gallon batches using my electric stove and some smallish stockpots. Now that I've moved to New Zealand I'm desperate to restart my brewing and would like to start building a larger and more polished setup. I'll be moving house soon so I'm not 100% sure how much space I'll have available, but I think I'd prefer the smaller form factor of a piece of kit like the Grainfather rather than a larger 2 or 3 kettle rig. However I've also started playing around and experimenting with electronics and part of my enjoyment from brewing is in hacking together and building DIY components.

I had toyed with the idea of building my own version of the Grainfather, with some added extras (computer based temperature control to have non-manual mash profiles, automatic sparging from another vessel - probably a stainless steel FV with a removeable heating element) but I don't think I can do it for cheaper than the Grainfather costs. Also I like the aesthetic of it and I'm a bit scared that anything I build would be a bit rough around the edges (I have to get all of this past my wife for approval, so neatness is a factor).

So really I'm asking is if you guys think it should be possible in theory to 'hack' or bypass the temperature controller on the Grainfather and replace it with my own. Probably an Opentroller BX2 or a BrewPi. As far as I understand it the current temperature controller is pretty much an STC-1000 so has no option for serial input/control, so I'd probably remove that which should leave me with a pre-installed temperature probe (no idea what kind/model), and power cables for the pump, heating element, and the 500W/2000W switch for the heating element. I should be able to just wire these into my own controller right? Or is there likely to be a lot more to it than that? Like I said I'm a real beginner, but I do have a friend at work who is an expert in electronics that I can go to for help with the technical side, I'm really just wondering from a theoretical point of view if there's something I'm missing with this idea.

Cheers guys.

So you have approx. NZ$1k to play with if you want to build it cheaper than the grainfather? I think you should be good - depending on you DIY skills.
The grainfather is basically a pot with electric element, a bag, a controller and a pump. And being in NZ we are typically reduced to a 10A 240Vac circuit if you want to just plug it into the socket in your kitchen. So that means limted to a >2400W element. I am always considering throwing together a small BIAB system for trials - based on a 7.5 litre (2 gallon) batch size (to fit in a 10 litre Bunnings bucket).
The electrics are probably the biggest cost - how handy are you at that? Basically you need to control the pump (on/off) and element (0-100% PWM). For this you could use a PID Temp controller and switchs, and prebuilt system like BrewPi or Strangbrew, or DIY you own based on an Arduino (plenty of grunt for what it needs) - and based on what you said either of the last 2 would be for you for auto mash schedules.

With only 2000(ish) watts of heating power I would expect you to be limited to 20 litres at best. So what I recommend is to really list down what you need / want out of the system and what you can do without.

A few eBIAB from HBT to get you thinking:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/how-build-5-gal-110v-ebiab-kettle-304914/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/110v-recirculating-ebiab-2-5-gallon-batches-341219/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/dual-2000w-120v-recirculating-ebiab-build-381476/

My brew rigs a the same concept as the GF. Use a mathos controller ardbir and software for the auto part. A couple of ss ebay pots an element. Total cost under 300bux.

Hi

Hi
The Open ArdBir team is working to adapt the single vessel BIAB/Rims controller developed during last two years to GrainFather

https://www.facebook.com/OpenArdBir

few guys around the world has already replaced the original controller (simple thermoregulator) with ArdBir that allow full processo controls in all steps, recipe management, PID /PWM power control, complete set up of all unit and brewing parameters...it's a huge step head compared the original controller at low cost / low effort

The controller from integration and HW perspective is almost plug and play, here you have som picture and full guide how to pefrorm the upgrade

20150722_192931.jpg

ce2b8eb1127fc9ec998e0a07d1e81115.jpg

full how to video
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJctwTmh10[/ame]

I'll also add that I have developed a a firmware replacement for the STC-1000 specifically for controlling a one vessel brew system. The STC also has the same form factor as the one supplied by the grainfather, so it is more or less a direct replacement.
The project can be found here:
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p-ovbsc

anyone try this. I am thinking of winging it and ordering the set up for my grain father.

Back