Gelatin fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownD

Reaction score
Hi All-
My first post, but I've been a lurker for a few months. I'm on my 5th batch (What Hoppened?-a verry hoppy IPA) and would lke to clarify it in the secondary. The SG is down to 1014 from 1060 (target of 1010-1012). I'm thinking about moving it to the secondary and adding gelatin to get it clearer while it finishes the process. Any advice on what I'm proposing?
1) Will moving it to the secondary at this time be too soon off the yeast cake and stall her out? I've noticed a few of my batches have missed the target gravity on the high side (usually around 1018-1020), and I suspect it's due to moving from primary to secondary too soon. This batch has been in primary for 12 days. Yeast is WLP001.

2)When I do move it, should I sipon beer first, or add gelatin first?

Thanks in advance!
BeantownD

I don't think racking it at this point would be bad but it never hurts to let it sit in primary 2 to 4 weeks. When I use Gelatin I put the gelatin into the secondary first, then rack on top of it just to make sure it all gets mixed in well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let it go a little further (hit the taget gravity anyway) and then rack w/ the gelatin. The sample I took last night had decent clarity, but I'd like to experiment to see if it will get clearer.

Back