So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticke altbier today. No issues, hit target OG almost dead on.
Also, it pays to be friendly with your local brewery. He was brewing up a beer he said always yields too much so just bring by a carboy if I wanted some. By coincidence, the OG of both beers were exactly the same.
So 2 beers into carboys today :mug:

CF81B0E7-6DCC-4305-9011-1F63A5509D61.jpeg
I’ll be brewing another batch of cream ale tomorrow. Turns out my wife likes it so I need more.

Tomorrow I'm brewing something similar to Belhaven at a friend's request. I'm not a huge fan of the stuff, so I'll only brew 5 gallons instead of my usual 10.

Just finished brewing up a batch of Pilsner, one of the beers I always keep on tap. Made a 5.5 gallon batch and filled up the 5 gallon carboy instead of my 6 gallon... found out that a 5 gallon carboy will perfectly fit 5.5 gallons :smh:

Today is brew day! Going to be brewing up a 5 gallon batch of some alt bier. Haven’t tried it yet, so as you all know, should be a blast!

View attachment 600536

Brewed up an ESB today on my redesigned brew stand. Worked great!
Very nice! Did you used to work for the Army Chemical Corps? ;)

Yesterday, I brewed up a 5.5 gallon batch of Amber Ale with a lot of agave nectar in it -- calling it Agave Cheer -- and had to improvise half-hour into the boil when my last can of extract turned out to be bad. So instead of 3.3 lbs of Light LME, I added another 3 lbs of agave nectar. I hope it has enough yeast nutrients from the can of amber LME I put in...I added half a teaspoon as insurance, but the resulting mix was 61% sugar vs malt...

It's an experiment, so I'm not that emotionally invested in it, but I am a bit torqued about the bad can of extract. Going back to the LHBS to swap/refund today...

Update: LHBS hadn't seen this before, and let me swap for a (hopefully) good replacement.

Last edited:
View attachment 600536

Brewed up an ESB today on my redesigned brew stand. Worked great!

Madking - From the photo, it appears that we may have the same burner on your rig, only yours appears to have been modified from original. Mine (still stock, about 5" from BG14 burner to 15 gallon brew pot) gets killed by cross winds; I think that is rather a bit too far. I would appreciate any advice to windproof this thing, and improve the heat transfer. Thanks.

Madking - From the photo, it appears that we may have the same burner on your rig, only yours appears to have been modified from original. Mine (still stock, about 5" from BG14 burner to 15 gallon brew pot) gets killed by cross winds; I think that is rather a bit too far. I would appreciate any advice to windproof this thing, and improve the heat transfer. Thanks.

I actually didn't modify it in any way that would affect that unfortunately. It just has two pieces of flat bar stock attached to the underside of the pot-stand arms to attach it to my 80/20 frame.

IMG_5504.JPG

I tried moving the burner up closer to the pot but it interfered with the draw of the propane and it wasn't burning as cleanly so I moved it back down.

I've seen people take metal flashing and make pot skirts from them to help hold some of the heat in though. I would look into that, or just adding a wind screen to your brewing area if the wind comes from one direction.

Making a starter for a Brute IPA for Sat. in an hour or two debating on the second brew being a honey porter or an oatmeal cream stout

Care to share the recipe/process for this?
3.5gal water, 3lbs of Pilsen/Wheat DME each, boil hops (Stirling this time) for 5min to 15ibu, and WLP300 Hefe yeast. I strain the hops. Mixed well. Sanitize the **** out of everything. Wait 3 weeks/keg. Easy Peasy.

Any doubts? Ask @afro_lou or @TwistedGray. Even took some to a craft beer brewing event. Surprised everyone...in a good way.

Up early to brew a batch of the Hoppy Lager that turned out so well a couple months ago. Have a honey-do list for later so hoping to get done by 9:30am. On the boil now, smells fantastic even before first hop addition. Husband bought a new door handle & digital deadbolt for the front door yesterday and it will be up to me to install as he gets too frustrated with tools and stuff. Then laundry and housework that gets put by during the week as we both have two jobs. Sunday Funday!

Brewed a Doppelbock and bottled the last of my Christmas gift six pack beers. 2 bottles each of nugget/cascade pale ale, Munich dunkel and raspberry vanilla cream ale :mug:

11 gallons "pre phohabition" style lager (which just means I'm winging the recipe again, haha), with 2# rye malt, 1# flaked corn, 10# pilsner, 3# pale 2 row, 3# Irish ale malt. 1 0z N brewer FW, 1 oz amerillo 30 min boil, .5 oz leaf mosaic post boil steep. 1.053.

First brew day significantly below freezing, will have to adopt winter brewing protocols from now on. Easy to run lagers now though!

Got a late start because a friend picked up his 20 ft dumpster out of my yard I'd filled with scrap metal all week, darn dumpster walls were blown out a bit, so we had to screw around with loader and straps to get the door shut.. could haul out a few more according to my gal..

Going to try and squeeze in a pekko smash ipa. The wife has the weekend packed so it'll either be an early morning or a late night brew sesh.

Brewed up my last beer of the year today. I'd been meaning to brew this for a while but kept putting it off for one reason or another.

The beer is a kolsch that got its hopping schedule based off of a NE IPA. 1oz each Mosaic, Azacca and Citra at 5 minutes, 1oz Amarillo at flameout. Dropped to 150'F and whirlpooled for about 10 minutes. Dropped to 60'F and pitched the WLP kolsch yeast. Will dry hop with 1oz each of Amarillo, Mosaic and citra at the end of fermentation.

Mashing:
P4sAe5l.jpg

Boiling:
meggQQI.jpg

Hops:
79o7suD.jpg

In the beer fridge set to 60'F:
3kg4G1A.jpg

IPA just finishing up a 30 minute whirlpool and ready to chill to pitch temp

13# Maris Otter
4oz acid malt
1oz Magnum (60 min)
1.5oz Mosaic (10 min)
2.0oz Mosaic (30 min whirlpool)

Imperial 'Dry Hop' @ 64F until krausen starts to taper off, then up to 68F for a few days and 70F for a couple more

2.5oz Mosaic dry hop

I used to brew this one with 1.5oz Mosaic as a first wort hopping, but never got the bitter foundation I was looking for. taste testing the gravity sample leads me to believe that the swap to Magnum at 60 min was exactly what this one needed.

Also my first time with 'Dry Hop' ... been using Barbarian at 64F and 68F for several previous brews, and Flagship at 64/68 before that

I will be brewing with the same exact recipe as my first ever batch, an American Pale Ale. I figure if I use the same recipe and refer to my brew note to make some adjustments and correct some errors I will be able to notice the difference and, hopefully, an improvement. I'm just doing all this in my kitchen so it was nice to see the set ups other are using. That would have been one of my questions. Do most of you use your kitchen or do you use a brew room?

Also got a second fermenter and a milk stout to try.
I will be brewing with the same exact recipe as my first ever batch, an American Pale Ale. I figure if I use the same recipe and refer to my brew note to make some adjustments and correct some errors I will be able to notice the difference and, hopefully, an improvement. I'm just doing all this in my kitchen so it was nice to see the set ups other are using. That would have been one of my questions. Do most of you use your kitchen or do you use a brew room?

I will be brewing with the same exact recipe as my first ever batch, an American Pale Ale. I figure if I use the same recipe and refer to my brew note to make some adjustments and correct some errors I will be able to notice the difference and, hopefully, an improvement.
That's the wonderful part of this hobby (obsession?) - we get to see and taste improvements as our processes improve and become repeatable :)

I'm just doing all this in my kitchen so it was nice to see the set ups other are using. That would have been one of my questions. Do most of you use your kitchen or do you use a brew room?
I brew all-grain in my old farmhouse's kitchen (dig that 1930's wallpaper!) on a gas stove. I run a garden hose in thru the window so I can utilize an immersion chiller (my sink faucet does not support use of an adapter so I can use it instead of the hose) Once I have the wort in a carboy, it's down the narrow stairs to the basement where I use a chest freezer to control fermentation temps

HERMS.jpg

That's the wonderful part of this hobby (obsession?) - we get to see and taste improvements as our processes improve and become repeatable :)

I brew all-grain in my old farmhouse's kitchen (dig that 1930's wallpaper!) on a gas stove. I run a garden hose in thru the window so I can utilize an immersion chiller (my sink faucet does not support use of an adapter so I can use it instead of the hose) Once I have the wort in a carboy, it's down the narrow stairs to the basement where I use a chest freezer to control fermentation temps

View attachment 603496
Hate to sound so green but what's the pump for?

Hate to sound so green but what's the pump for?
It recirculates wort from the bottom of the mash tun, into a coil that rests in a pot of temp controlled water, and back into the top of the tun via a manifold that evenly disperses the liquid just below the surface.

This gives me the ability to easily control mash temperature - to adjust it if I'm off the desired temp at mash-in, and also to raise the mash temp when doing a multi-step mash (ex:I mash at 149F for 30 min, then raise to 154F for 20 min, and then raise to 168F to denature the enzymes and lock in my conversion profile)

Using this setup I can raise the temperature without adding hot water to the mash itself.

This morning I fumbled through brewing a Helles before heading out to get some goat feed, pick up a bag of Pilsner and some yeast and then heading to the ER to get pics of my wrist which I F*d up on Wednesday slipping on some ice with a bucket of water I was dumping. Yup, feed store, LHBS, and then ER. You gotta set priorities in life.

Latest posts

Back