La Folie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally had the opportunity to try some. Very interesting beer.

The first one I had was pretty shocking. I had no idea what I was in for. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't really sure if I'd ever pick any more up.

Nearly a week later, I cracked open the second bottle (I bought four because I can't get New Belgium back home). Anyway, I really like this one. I think without the shock, I'm able to enjoy the flavors a bit.

How do you guys take this sour brown?

I've got to be in the mood for it, but I do enjoy it when I am. I take sour beers infrequently and in small doses as they can really crank up heartburn and acid reflux for me due to the high acidity.

If you like sour beers, this is my last choice. Just about any sour beer from any other brewery will be better than this one. Welcome to the club of sour beer lovers, all I can tell you is that sour beer has become a passion for me to find the next one.

The older version of La Folie that was caged and corked was a much better beer than the current version, IMO. I like La Folie every now and that but consider it an entry level sour along the lines of Monks Cafe or *****es de Bourgogne, again IMO. I still keep a few bottles around the house.

If you like sour beers, this is my last choice. Just about any sour beer from any other brewery will be better than this one.

Really? I think La Folie is a very good sour beer and one of my favorites and one of the best representations of the style for made in the US.

I've had it once and I found it way, way to acidic to enjoy. Admittedly, it was my first or second sour ever, so maybe I didn't have a good basis but it felt like drinking white vinegar with a splash of brown ale. I should probably give it another try since it is available in the area but I'd hate to buy a bomber and not like it again.

I've only had it once, at the brewery during a tour. It was interesting, but not my favorite soured beer. I find sour beers heavy on fruit to be more to my taste.

I was just in Ft Collins last weekend and did the NB tour. I enjoy La Folie (got a bomber in at home right now) but got a little more appreciation for NB as it seems they were one of the first to bring sours to the US and it got a lot of PR from Michael Jackson as one of the top 10 beers in the world at the time. Some of the PNW sours are really pushing the envelope. Went to Cascade in Portland, loved the Vlad the Imp Aler.

I was just in Ft Collins last weekend and did the NB tour. I enjoy La Folie (got a bomber in at home right now) but got a little more appreciation for NB as it seems they were one of the first to bring sours to the US and it got a lot of PR from Michael Jackson as one of the top 10 beers in the world at the time. Some of the PNW sours are really pushing the envelope. Went to Cascade in Portland, loved the Vlad the Imp Aler.

Cascade kriek is amazing!

Cascade kriek is amazing!
Ah yes, I brought a bottle back of the kriek as well. We stopped by Strange Brewing (I see you're in Denver) and hoped to bring back some of their Cherry Kriek to do a comparison, but that had run out.

Strange Brewing sucks all around IMO. All their beers are watery and bleh. The kriek isn't what you'd expect. It certainly isn't sour.

If you like sour beers, this is my last choice. Just about any sour beer from any other brewery will be better than this one. Welcome to the club of sour beer lovers, all I can tell you is that sour beer has become a passion for me to find the next one.

I agree.

Back