There is always a small foam/head on top of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the initial pour,a small head retained throughout the glass is meritorious indeed. But starting with say,a 2-3" head is very good so far as a "proper" German pour is concerned. They say that the head should be 1/4 to 1/3 of the pour over there. It's not just the shape or cleanliness of the glass,but the shape as well. Besides the quality of priming,conditioning,& initial chill time having a hand in it as well.

Are your carbonation levels good on the beer? How long have these beers carbonated before you try them? Is your glassware properly cleaned? Google "salt glass test" to see if your glasses are truly clean. Do you use any soap/oxyclean in any part of your cleaning process, and if so is it properly cleaned? Is this extract or all grain beer? How much specialty grains are in the recipes that have underwhelming head?

Save some time and just search for your issue in the upper right corner of the Homebrew Talk homepage -- there must be dozens of threads with the exact same content as this.

Extract or all grain doesn't matter when it comes to head retention or quality thereof. It's the process that gives good head. I can get outstanding head,& I brew extracts with no grains most of the time too.

Extract or all grain doesn't matter when it comes to head retention or quality thereof. It's the process that gives good head. I can get outstanding head,& I brew extracts with no grains most of the time too.

Glad to hear it. :) I'm trying to get a handle on the guy's process.

bigbeergeek said:
Save some time and just search for your issue in the upper right corner of the Homebrew Talk homepage -- there must be dozens of threads with the exact same content as this.

That's not saving time. Saving time is starting a new thread, coming back to it an hour later, and finding all the answers you need right there ;)

I can get a good head at initial poor and it has just a fine layer on top for the entire beer. It also foams up the walls of the glass. I am in between moves and have been using a regular water glass, so I don't know if that would matter. Extract brewing and I am right at 3 weeks in the bottle. And I do mean in my drinking class. However, I have a lot of bubbles on top of my beer in the carboy.

I was told I didn't let the kausen drop before moving it to my carboy and that may have caused the bubbles there as well. I hope I didn't F that one up, I was looking forward to it.

Some krausens drop,others after a long time,some not at all. Another instance where each brew is different. I wouldn't think that had much to do with carbonation. It's just dissolved co2 coming out of solution in the carboy example. As long as the beer is given 3-5 weeks at room temp covered to condition. it should be fine. Way better after 2 weeks in the fridge,as I found recently. The head was thick & firm,kinda like meringue. Great,longer lasting carbonation too. Of course,proper priming rate is needed to start with,over & above a good brewing process.

This is what happens when you RDWAIHAHB and type :drunk:

lol...

Ok...So you moved your beer from the Primary Bucket to the Secondary Carboy? If this is the case you might not have been done fermenting and it started back up. I would say 95% chance you have nothing to worry about. Now if you have big slimy looking bubbles...then we have a slight problem...

I'd say your just fine.

My bad,the smoker I drink,the player I get. I knew what I wanted to say when I came in here man. I meant that it's not just how clean the glass is,but it's shape as well.:drunk::mug:

I say, at this point, cut your losses. This is going south, quick.:drunk:

Back