Tepache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
There is another thread that has a guy with a Montana Jar who made some Tepache. I made it the other day, and it is sitting on my counter for 3 days now, there is a very light film/foam looking surface on the top, but it doesn't really look like its fermenting. Has anyone ever made this recipe where the natural yeast from the pineapple skin is supposed to ferment the sugars?

I have tasted it, it tastes super great, but tastes very very sweet (like the sugars haven't fermented at all).

I want it to have some alcohol it in.

What are your experiences in making this stuff?

Thanks

After reading the linked thread,i got an idea. What about doubling the recipe,& add it to an extract cerveza kit & let it all ferment? They add beer to it in some places anyway,so why not brew it together with a light Mexican-style beer? Just a thought...

After reading the linked thread,i got an idea. What about doubling the recipe,& add it to an extract cerveza kit & let it all ferment? They add beer to it in some places anyway,so why not brew it together with a light Mexican-style beer? Just a thought...

This was essentially exactly the thought I had after reading the linked thread, and I went to the store yesterday to pick up the ingredients for my own take on tepache, which I'm calling a "tepache ale":

http://beer.winnphillips.com/show.cgi?bid=128

Uh, I think the original intent of the brew is probably to get the drinker wasted, so I don't think you'll have to worry about that. ;)

lolz. I guess I should've been more concise. With the original intent to get the drinker burnttoastedwastedfried,but taste sweet-n-fruity too! To the brewery,where life is beautiful all the time! With malts & yeasts & clanking bottles,..they're coming to take me away,hahaaaa!

...and that's what I get for all my slaving,loving work? HUH!? But you just wait,I'll bottle you yet! And when I DO you'll finally mellow out you skanky,mangey mutt! To the brewing home! Where life is beautiful all the time! And I'll be happy to see those clear brown bottles,:drunk: & they're coming to take me away,hahaaaaa!

My version is underway now, with a few more last-minute tweaks to the recipe. Here's a picture of the concoction in the brew pot, cooling in an ice water bath:

cooling.concoction.jpg

Back